Existing Xamarin app support on iOS 18

I'm not getting satisfactory answer so I'm trying here to see if there is any workaround. Xamarin support ended in May and our current app (Xamarin forms) crashes on iOS 18 beta. I understand that we may have to upgrade our app to MAUI but is that truly only solution? I'm currently targeting Xcode 15 SDK (iOS 17). Would Xcode 16 SDK for iOS 18 work for Xamarin forms?

Answered by DTS Engineer in 792842022

There are limits to how much I can say here, given that this is primarily about third-party tooling. However, I can address a couple of points…

our current app (Xamarin forms) crashes on iOS 18 beta.

Apple platforms strive for binary compatibility, that is, an app running on version N of the OS should continue to run on version N+1. If you have an existing app on the App Store that fails on iOS 18 beta, you should file a bug about that.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Oh, and I wanna stress my use of the word strive here |-:

Beyond that, there’s the question of how you update your app. My main concern here is that Apple typically requires that apps be built with a modern SDK. For example, iOS 17 was released in Sep 2023 and we started requiring Xcode 15 in Apr 2024. If that trend continues, there’ll come a point where you’ll need to use Xcode 16 to build the app you submit. If you can’t find a way to get your third-party tooling to work with that setup, you’ll no longer be able to submit your app )-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

There are limits to how much I can say here, given that this is primarily about third-party tooling. However, I can address a couple of points…

our current app (Xamarin forms) crashes on iOS 18 beta.

Apple platforms strive for binary compatibility, that is, an app running on version N of the OS should continue to run on version N+1. If you have an existing app on the App Store that fails on iOS 18 beta, you should file a bug about that.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Oh, and I wanna stress my use of the word strive here |-:

Beyond that, there’s the question of how you update your app. My main concern here is that Apple typically requires that apps be built with a modern SDK. For example, iOS 17 was released in Sep 2023 and we started requiring Xcode 15 in Apr 2024. If that trend continues, there’ll come a point where you’ll need to use Xcode 16 to build the app you submit. If you can’t find a way to get your third-party tooling to work with that setup, you’ll no longer be able to submit your app )-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Much appreciated for your reply. Let me see if I can file a bug report and post the result here if I get through. Thanks again.

Existing Xamarin app support on iOS 18

Q