Access NVMe SMART on iPad

When using external NVMe devices on iOS / iPadOS I cannot tell how to access the disk SMART data.

On macOS I can use NVMeSMARTLibExternal.h to access this information but the same system does not seem to work on iPadOS (even with Thunderbolt NVMe devices).

When using M series iPads with professional Thunderbolt storage this woudlbe very useful.

On macOS I can use NVMeSMARTLibExternal.h to access this information but the same system does not seem to work on iPadOS (even with Thunderbolt NVMe devices).

IOKit is more limited on iPadOS, particularly when it comes to system user client support. Historically, our user client libraries (including "NVMeSMARTLib") were implemented using CFPlugin and COM (Component Object Model). Those user client were either never included in the system or never made accessible through the public API. Currently, the on access IOKit provides on iOS is the ability to discover devices and connect/communicate of custom user clients.

If you want the system to support this, please file an enhancement request describing how you'd use this API and why it's important to your users.

__
Kevin Elliott
DTS Engineer, CoreOS/Hardware

Access NVMe SMART on iPad

Q