Unreal engine project on iOS crashing on open

Hi there, I have just recently had a go at trying to build an app using unreal engine. After much difficulty of finally getting the app to sign, build and deploy I am having issues with the app crashing immediately after opening it.

I have had a look at the crash log to find it including EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) which I've come to understand means it may be accessing a value that doesn't exist. I was unable to understand or figure out any of the rest of it to find any clues on how to solve my issue.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to why the app is crashing, it would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, that’s tricky. Consider this:

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000003e8000

Your app is crashing because it’s accessing unmapped memory. This usually means that you’re accessing an invalid pointer. The standard next step here is to look at the backtrace of the crashing thread:

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   dyld … strlen + 4
1   dyld … objc::StringHashTable::tryGetIndex(char const*) const + 35
2   dyld … objc::ObjectHashTable::forEachObject(char const*, void (unsigned long long, unsigned short, bool&) b…
3   dyld … dyld4::PrebuiltObjC::ObjCOptimizerImage::visitProtocol(objc::ProtocolHashTable const*, dyld3::Map, d…
4   dyld … dyld3::MachOAnalyzer::forEachObjCProtocol(unsigned long long, unsigned long long, dyld3::MachOAnalyz…
5   dyld … dyld4::PrebuiltObjC::make(Diagnostics&, dyld4::RuntimeState&) + 1659
6   dyld … dyld4::PrebuiltLoaderSet::makeLaunchSet(Diagnostics&, dyld4::RuntimeState&, dyld4::MissingPaths cons…
7   dyld … dyld4::prepare(dyld4::APIs&, dyld3::MachOAnalyzer const*) + 2875
8   dyld … start + 487

And this is where things get weird )-: All of these stack frames are in the dynamic linker (dyld) which is trying to link your app to its dynamic libraries. Something is going horribly wrong with that process, which is causing the dynamic linker to crash before any of your code is run.

So, the problem isn’t with the way your code runs, but the way that it’s built O-:

This is on a fairly old version of iOS (15.4.1). Are you able to test on something newer?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Unreal engine project on iOS crashing on open

Q