Swift Playgrounds 4.5.1 creating new book with Swift 5.9?

Hi all!

I am using Swift Playgrounds 4.5.1 on Mac and iPad.

When I create new book, they both create new book with Swift 5.9 (instead of Swift 5.10).

Is this a bug? The release notes says since 4.5.0 the Swift version has been upgraded to 5.10.

Thanks B

Answered by Developer Tools Engineer in 794477022

Hi @bill-sched! Unfortunately, this is a bug in the shipping release of Swift Playgrounds, though it only affects the subtitle of the book—Swift Playgrounds 4.5.1 includes the Swift 5.10 compiler, and books built using that release of Swift Playgrounds are built with Swift 5.10.

As an aside, currently Swift language modes only track the major versions (i.e., there is a Swift 5 language mode but not Swift 5.9 or Swift 5.10 language modes). As such, regardless of what the books' subtitles say, they will always build with the corresponding minor language version that ships with the version of Swift Playgrounds you're using.

We will track getting the subtitle fixed in future releases!

Accepted Answer

Hi @bill-sched! Unfortunately, this is a bug in the shipping release of Swift Playgrounds, though it only affects the subtitle of the book—Swift Playgrounds 4.5.1 includes the Swift 5.10 compiler, and books built using that release of Swift Playgrounds are built with Swift 5.10.

As an aside, currently Swift language modes only track the major versions (i.e., there is a Swift 5 language mode but not Swift 5.9 or Swift 5.10 language modes). As such, regardless of what the books' subtitles say, they will always build with the corresponding minor language version that ships with the version of Swift Playgrounds you're using.

We will track getting the subtitle fixed in future releases!

Swift Playgrounds 4.5.1 creating new book with Swift 5.9?

Q