FilterDataProvider network extension binary not updating

I've followed all the advice on these forums regarding developing network extensions. I'm working on a FilterDataProvider using the SimpleFirewall example project as a starting point. The issue I run into is that the copy of the extension binary that the system manages does not get updated by the system when I copy a new application into the /Applications directory. Here's my workflow:

1. Build and run the application from Xcode. I've added a pre-run action that copies the extension into a /Applications/SysExtDev folder so I don't have to disable SIP.
  2. Test & make changes to code
  3. Disable & remove the extension in Settings > Network > Filters & Proxies
  4. Build and run the application from Xcode.
  5. New app binary loads, but the old extension binary loads.

I also notice that the app will report that the extension is already registered even when it's not present in the UI in System Settings. And when I enable the extension in the newly launched app, I don't see the full flow of confirmation dialogs, only one indicating that the app wants to filter network content.

If I run:

❯ diff /Applications/SysExtDev/SimpleFirewall.app/Contents/Library/SystemExtensions/com.example.apple-samplecode.SimpleFirewall2U6G6353D3.SimpleFirewallExtension.systemextension/Contents/MacOS/com.example.apple-samplecode.SimpleFirewall2U6G6353D3.SimpleFirewallExtension /Library/SystemExtensions/44022C0D-8BBA-4783-8314-83195A516DB5/com.example.apple-samplecode.SimpleFirewall2U6G6353D3.SimpleFirewallExtension.systemextension/Contents/MacOS/com.example.apple-samplecode.SimpleFirewall2U6G6353D3.SimpleFirewallExtension
Binary files ... and ... differ

it indicates that the binaries are not the same.

In order to resolve this issue I usually have to wait around for awhile and/or reboot the machine. I can't find any rhyme or reason to it. I've tried removing the old app from /Applications before building the new copy but that doesn't seem to help either. The way I know things are going to work is, if when I launch and enable the extension, I see the full onboarding flow asking me to open settings and allow under privacy and security.

I have tried running

$ systemextensionsctl uninstall 2U6G6353D3 com.example.apple-samplecode.SimpleFirewall2U6G6353D3.SimpleFirewallExtension

but that requires SIP to be disabled. I'm really close to just throwing in the towel and developing with SIP disabled. However, I feel like I must be missing something. Do I need to bump the version every time? Do I need to kill the extension process with launchctl so it can be cleaned up? Do I have to tickle the launch services or sfl db? What am I missing?

Answered by DTS Engineer in 794705022

I describe the workflow I use in Debugging a Network Extension Provider. It’s worked well for me on macOS 13 and 14 (I’ve not tried it on the macOS 15 beta).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I describe the workflow I use in Debugging a Network Extension Provider. It’s worked well for me on macOS 13 and 14 (I’ve not tried it on the macOS 15 beta).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thanks for linking your helpful debugging thread. As I mentioned, I have already seen that thread and I believe I am currently following your advice. I am disabling and removing the system extension between runs of the application. The problem is that the system seems to simply flag the extension as needing to be removed, but doesn't perform that action until a reboot, or something along those lines, I’m not entirely sure. I believe I am following all the relevant advice and still hitting a wall. It’s super frustrating trying to develop this project because I can’t reliably get the system to install it. How can I escalate?

Accepted Answer

I threw in the towel and disabled SIP. After enabling systemextensionsctl developer on and adding a scheme that elides copying to /Applications/SysExtDev, I can confirm that everything works as expected, so long as I remove the system extension between runs. There must be some funky interaction between SIP and system extensions (and perhaps loading from /Applications) that I was getting caught in. For now I'll just keep developing with SIP disabled, but I'd love to make sure this issue sees the right eyes because it would be really nice to not have to disable SIP. Would it be appropriate to file this as a feedback?

FilterDataProvider network extension binary not updating

Q