64-bit Apple Watches with 64-bit pointer sizes?

I have a watchOS app written in C++, Swift and SwiftUI. This app is meant only for 64-bit architecture. I know Apple uses the arm architecture, so I thought arm64 will be the arch of latest AppleWatches.

I tested my code in x64 simulator (Intel Mac) and arm64 simulator (silicon Mac) - no trouble. Next is to test on a device - AppleWatch Series 9, model: A2984. I set the arch to arm64 and my application failed to build, with Xcode showing a popup about arch mismatch... which is due to the app's arch begin different from device's arch. When I change Xcode arch setting to arm64_32, then I don't get this popup, but my builds fail. When I read about arm64_32, I realised that this is a version of arm64 with 32 bit pointers... not the arm64 with 64 bit pointers.

Looking at the specification of AppleWatch Series 9, Apple has confirmed that it has 64 bit CPU, but the instruction set is unknown. This wiki page about different AppleWatch CPUs is marked TBC for AppleWatch Series 9. From Xcode, I got to know that this unconfirmed arch is arm64_32. This completely breaks my code. Are there any 64-bit watches with 64-bit pointer sizes? What is Apple's future in this area? Do they plan to release AppleWatches that support 64-bit pointers or it's always going to be 32?

Answered by Frameworks Engineer in 794992022

That's a good summary. Since the Series 4 was introduced in 2018, all new Apple Watches have been arm64_32. The last Apple Watch to be armv7k was the Series 3.

That's a good summary. Since the Series 4 was introduced in 2018, all new Apple Watches have been arm64_32. The last Apple Watch to be armv7k was the Series 3.

64-bit Apple Watches with 64-bit pointer sizes?

Q