IKEv2 vpn profile with self-signed certificate

I am having two issues with an IKEv2 VPN profile and certificates, and I am using Apple Configurator to create the profile. We have a self-signed CA that consists of an intermediate/root chain. The first issue is that when I load the intermediate and/or root into the Certificates section, then, in the VPN section, select Certificate for Machine Authentication, the VPN doesn't connect, and from Console, we get the error "Trust evaluate failure: [leaf MissingIntermediate]." If I load the server cert, the profile connects. I am lost as to why this works, I would assume we would need only the intermediate and/or root.

Second issue I am running into, is that when I put the Intermediate CA name into "Server Certificate Issuer Common Name" the VPN does not connect at all. With the server cert or not.

If I can provide any more information at all, please let me know. With this being a public forum, I didn't want to include much from my organization but can send it privately. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Screenshot of the console error is attached

IKEv2 vpn profile with self-signed certificate

Q