What is the secret to good UI?

Hello, I’m an aspiring full stack dev and I’m just wondering how the heck you get good UI AND UX. I’m currently moodboarding and seeing how things look in FigJam and then taking that and coding in Swift. I am struggling and my sanity is hanging on by a string 😂. So tell me, how do you get good UI and UX?

Answered by Claude31 in 796156022

If there were a magic recipe, it would be known.

You should read Apple UI guidelines, there is a lot to learn here.

But a few points to pat attention for the UX:

1. know who are your target users: very experienced or in a specific business or any one having an iPhone,
    1. put yourself in the user shoes or mind, and try to forget what you know about your code:

what is obvious for you may be hard to guess or not natural for a casual user

A good way is to test your UI and UX with a few target users, even before fully coding.

1. Keep it as simple as possible, do not overcrowd the UI and to not require 10 screens to get to the point. Navigation between all your screens must be simple to understand. The storyboard approach of UIKit is a great way to check. More difficult with SwiftUI.

Which means, when you design UX, try to imagine the user thinking when he/she looks at the specific screen.

1. Avoid absolutely to get your user lost and provide a way to easily get back to a safe starting point (Home Screen often).
    1. try to make it fun to use your app.

Hope that helps.

PS: this damn editor is replacing the bullet numbers by 1 everywhere when it display (not in Preview). Bad UI.

Here’s one take:

Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines. Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Accepted Answer

If there were a magic recipe, it would be known.

You should read Apple UI guidelines, there is a lot to learn here.

But a few points to pat attention for the UX:

1. know who are your target users: very experienced or in a specific business or any one having an iPhone,
    1. put yourself in the user shoes or mind, and try to forget what you know about your code:

what is obvious for you may be hard to guess or not natural for a casual user

A good way is to test your UI and UX with a few target users, even before fully coding.

1. Keep it as simple as possible, do not overcrowd the UI and to not require 10 screens to get to the point. Navigation between all your screens must be simple to understand. The storyboard approach of UIKit is a great way to check. More difficult with SwiftUI.

Which means, when you design UX, try to imagine the user thinking when he/she looks at the specific screen.

1. Avoid absolutely to get your user lost and provide a way to easily get back to a safe starting point (Home Screen often).
    1. try to make it fun to use your app.

Hope that helps.

PS: this damn editor is replacing the bullet numbers by 1 everywhere when it display (not in Preview). Bad UI.

What is the secret to good UI?

Q