I have reproduced an issue with AVSpeechSynthesizer on macOS 26.6.2 (25G83) using a minimal Mac Catalyst application.
Environment
macOS 26.6.2 (25G83) Apple Silicon Xcode 26.x Mac Catalyst AVSpeechSynthesizer Enhanced voice: com.apple.voice.enhanced.en-GB.Daniel
The problem is specifically related to App Sandbox.
Reproduction
I created a completely new minimal Mac Catalyst application.
With App Sandbox disabled:
let synthesizer = AVSpeechSynthesizer()
let utterance = AVSpeechUtterance(string: "Hello, this is a test.") utterance.voice = AVSpeechSynthesisVoice(identifier: "com.apple.voice.enhanced.en-GB.Daniel")
synthesizer.speak(utterance)
The Enhanced voice works normally.
With App Sandbox enabled, with no other sandbox capabilities enabled, the same code no longer produces audible speech.
Sorry for the delay response; things got a bit bananas around here.
I have opened bug report: FB24653879
Thanks.
You mentioned that you’ve seen it on 26.6.2. Do you have same problem on 26.7? And 27.0?
Share and Enjoy
—
Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"