App Review Process - Understanding

I created an app that solved a need for me, after not finding anything like it in the app store. After enrolling multiple testers on testflight, I made several modifications and have very positive response.

After submission, this is what happened:

  1. Declined because it had "been submitted by a developer account that has a limited App Review history." They wanted a video of me using the app uploaded so they could see the functionality.

    OK, I recorded the video and gave the information about the value it provides in my reponse.

  2. It gets declined next because there's some use of apple terms in the metadata. Fair enough - I missed this, so made the update immediately and resubmitted.

  3. Today, it's declined because they felt the app was similar to other apps in the app store after having tested it (?).

I'm a bit surprised by this, given there are no other applications available that function the way this is configured. Furthermore, would the same be true if I had submitted a casino game? Slots? Blackjack? Cribbage?

I've filed the appeal, but every time adds another 6-10 days of waiting. Is there no way to speak to a human? Is this continual moving of the goalposts the usual for a new developer?

App Review Process - Understanding
 
 
Q