Apple TV 4k - unable to supervise

Hello,

I'm unable to bring the new Apple TV 4k into the supervised mode using a local organization (no MDM server).

Steps that I've done:

1. Configured the Apple TV and connected them to WIFI manually.
  2. Paired the Apple TV with the Mac.
  3. Now the Apple TV appears in the Configurator 2
  4. Ok, I choose "prepare".
  5. Manual configuration
  6. Supervised device + allow device to pair with other computers
  7. No MDM
  8. Choose my organization
  9. And confirm with prepare

Now the following message appears (free translation from German):

Configurator was unable to execute the requested action because "Apple TV" has been already prepared.

Press "Delete" to delete the device and prepare again. All settings are deleted. This can't be undo.

So I confirm with delete.

And now we're in the worse situation:

The Configurator tells me only "Waiting for device" while the Apple TV shows the setup assistance.

How should the Mac find the Apple TV? Because during the reset he has lost all WIFI settings.

Has anyone a idea how to bring the Apple TV 4k into the superviced mode?

Thanks and regards,

Martin

Replies

I have the same problem. But my Apple TV is connect to the Internet via Ethernet. Configurator also tells me "Waiting for device". However, I could see the Apple TV on the "Connect device", but cannot turn it to supervise device.

I'm having the same problem. I can get my older Apple TV 1080p supervised using USB, but the problem with the 4K is once it's been erased and reset to prepare it for supervision, it's now no longer wirelessly paired with my MacBook on Apple Configurator 2, so Configurator cannot finish preparing it.

I should note that I have both the Apple TV 4K and the Macbook connected via ethernet, not wireless, to reduce the potential for other problems.

I have the same problem with my Apple TV 4K but I am connected to Apple TV via ethernet on the same switch and just stuck saying preparing apple tv waiting for device after performing erase. I've waiting a good 20 minutes where the aerial screensaver comes on and nothing happens.

Same here.. just hangs on Waiting for Device...

Still facing the same issue here as well. I am conencted via wifi..

Same issue here, anybody has any updates?

I'm having the same problem. Attmped the preparation for more than 10 times but haven't got it to work yet.

Okay, i think i've resolved the problem. The trick is that you have to pair the device just after erase it. Here's the detailed steps

Before doing the steps, you need a wired ethernet connection works in the same subnet of your iMac or Macbook. I just connected the Apple TV 4k to the ethernet port of my router.

1. On the Apple TV, navigate to the settings pannel to erase and restore the device. This erases any data from the Apple TV.

2. Remove the pared Apple TV from Apple Configurator 2 paired device list.

3. Just after rebooting Apple TV 4k, DO NOT perform any configuration or touch the remote controller. Open 'paired device' window of configurator 2. You will see the device showed as connected and find the Pair Device button.

4. Pair the device from this point. You will get a verification code prompt on the TV. Enter the code to configurator 2 and you will get your apple TV paired before activation.

5. In Apple configurator, select the Apple TV 4k device and then click Prepare. Follow the instruction to select 'No MDM', 'No DEP', generate organization certificate and then run the preparation.

Keep this in mind : you must select 'allow pair with other computer' for the first step in the prepare window.

This will activate your Apple TV and get your device supervised. Enjoy!

Thank you hamfei, this helps me a lot!

Excellent, following the steps helped to supervise the 4k device. Thanks a lot.

Very useful Hamfei, thank you

Thank you for the detailed steps. We already followed the steps and successfully paired AppleTVs (via Ethernet). However we are not able to execute the steps on the new Apple TVs without an Ethernet port (no connection between Apple TV and Macbook after reset).

Any Ideas how we can solve this?

Very helpful @hamflei thank you!