Critical software update required, but an error was encountered... Stuck

Installed Mojave, and worked fine at first. Did a restart and now I can't get past the following message.

It boots,. WiFi setting screen appears, then when I try proceed it says:

A critical software update is required for your Mac, but an error was encountered while installing this update.

Your Mac can't be used until this update is installed

[Shut down] [try again]

But it never passes that point.

Any thoughts?

I can't reinstall high Sierra either.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Uelsimon Down vote post of Uelsimon
72k views
  • the same, stuck in a loop shutdown or Try again, unable to use my Mac again, only in safe mode but is very,very slow!

already update the Mac O.S to the last version available, but still stuck. Cleaned SMC, RAM, everything. I have got a touch bar failure. Apple supposed to change it on warranty cover time, but the touch bar still dead again.

Can I skip this update and work with my Macbook Pro again? please someone help me!!!

• I am having the same issue. Tried reinstalling macOS big sur still not resolved.

• Ditto

Replies

I am having the same problem, i've pretty much given up at this point. I just can't figure out how to install Windows on my mac now , can someone help me out? I am able to boot into macOS using safemode and from there i tried to use Bootcamp , but bootcamp isn't recognizing the Windows 10 iso file. Can someone guide me how did they install windows?

• It works for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-61qdyppJ8

Add a Comment

Okay so I had this problem literally just then.

I have a MacBook Pro (Touch Bar) - 2017, 13-inch. this issue occurred to me bc I uninstalled my Norton Security app as I had not renewed subscription. I noticed other people on this forum also did the same. I then had the ‘critical update required” message and was forced into an endless loop of inputing my internet password then it would take me to the same message again.

from reading other suggestions, I rebooted in safe mode (simply turn off mac then turn back on and hold Left Shift till you see login screen), I was then going to follow the step to disconnect to internet then shut down but noticed in the internet ‘network preferences’ there was a Norton icon with a lock and simply pressed the ‘-‘ at the bottom left next to the ‘+’ which made the Norton icon disappear (I’m assuming deleted it) and then restarted my Mac normally and it was fine.

I hope this suggestion works for someone out there!!

• Worked for me too. The Norton network add-on killed mine too. Rebooting in safe mode and then going into Settings and Network, then removing Norton extension fixed mine. Thanks for the hint!

Add a Comment

I am facing this problem for the last few weeks on my MBP 15" 2017

I'm a careful user and I never let my Mac update automatically, I'll check in from time to time and see if there are any important updates. I was still using Mojave at that time, one morning I started the machine and the progess bar was running very slow, and finally came up with the wifi selection screen. And of course, it won't complete the update no matter what network I'm on, mobile or home network.

After searching the internet for a while, I know that I have fallen into the same situation that many users are in on this forum. I tried erasing the drive and reinstalling Mojave with a bootable usb, but the error persists. I tried internet recovery to Monterey, it worked initially but after using it for a while my touchbar didn't show up and when I force restart the machine it gave the same error.

Sometimes, the machine would boot normally with the Touchbar working, like nothing happened and I had to take advantage of that time to install bootcamp on my machine. Currently the temporary solution is to use bootcamp to work and not use the key sequence F1, F2... because the touchbar is not visible. In the case of my device, every time my touchbar has problems, I notice that my keyboard and camera lights don't work properly either. iCloud, Touch ID too. I think they are related hardware group in some way.

I haven't tried disconnecting the camera cable as someone suggested in this but if it doesn't work, can anyone suggest me any other workaround?

I am having the exact same issue.

Class action lawsuit????

Same issue with 2016 15” was on Big Surf, Monterey didn’t help.

Safemode works.

• I have abolutely same issue on my MBP 15" 2016.

• MBP '17 Touchbar Mojave Can't boot Recovery;times out with "Wifi connection lost" No webcam orperipherals I've tried everything I can to fix this the apparently very commonI issue. Spent most of the past day w Apple support; was at last told o get it serviced. We all know what that means- $1000 to fix THEIR problem. Today I/m posting from tis and several other threads on the @AppleSupport @Apple Twitter accounts. This should either be recalled or at least fixed free. Or a Class Action suit.

Add a Comment

So had the same issue me on 2017 macbook pro. I believe I force shutdown while my mac was doing something and critical update popped up (prob software corruption). I went to safe mode updated everything and then updated to Monterey while in safe mode and still same issue.

Someone suggested earlier to try connecting to wifi 2-3 time it fails then wait around ~3min and try again with charger connected and it WORKED. Installed the update and came back to the login page and logged in fine.

Hopefully that fixes it for most people, also my touch bar was still working cause it lit up during login screen. If your touchbar is not working then its more than a software issue and could be a logic board issue like for some people.

• This also worked for me, pressed try again 3 times waited a couple of minutes connected to a charger and pressed try again then it worked. Dont know why or if all those steps are necessary but it worked.

Add a Comment

I have the same issue for my 2017 macbook pro with touch bar. I've spent a few days trying all sorts of re-installs to different OSX version, and then updating through the app store to later versions, hoping that one of them would restore the touchbar firmware for me, to no avail.

There's an in-depth write-up about the issue https://blog.eriknicolasgomez.com/2016/11/27/the-untouchables-apples-new-os-activation-for-touch-bar-macbook-pros/ and part 2 with a "solution" is https://blog.eriknicolasgomez.com/2016/11/30/the-untouchables-pt-2-offline-touchbar-activation-with-a-purged-disk/

Based on those write-ups, it sounds as though if someone who has a working touch bar could take the following steps: https://blog.eriknicolasgomez.com/2016/11/30/the-untouchables-pt-2-offline-touchbar-activation-with-a-purged-disk/#baking-the-cake and post a working upload of their EFI partition to share, then those who have this issue could simply place the firmware into their EFI partition and circumvent the Apple downloader, which doesn't seem to connect for most of us.

If someone who has a working macbook touch bar would be willing to post a copy of their EFI partition, I will try it on my 2017 macbook pro and repost back with results.

Encountered same problem today. I believe I solved it.

Bottom line: though my Mac was using Monterey - I prepared an install-disk (USB) for macOS Big Sur (not a mistake !) and installed it on the Mac (may require overwriting the Mac - I actually erased and formatted the disk...) - and all worked fine after that.

The touch-bar worked again, and and is great.

After using Big Sur for an hour, I safely upgraded (via Preferences > Update) to macOS Monterey - and after an addition three hours of work, reboots and all - it's still working great.

Try it - it may help you too...

All the best.

• This didn't work for me. Would you be willing to follow the steps I posted above and share your EFI partition with the touchbar firmware?

Add a Comment

There’s a bypasses but no fix yet. Bypass after receiveing error message allow the MacBook to enter sleep mode after 10+ sec wake MacBook but give it a little time load. And try again it should work.

Same issue here. After replacing a relative's 13" 2017 Touch Bar MacBook Pro battery, not only is the soldered internal SSD not working now, but after getting an external one and installing mac OS, it wont let me past the wifi screen saying that it needs a critical software update and fails to do said update. After doing some research, i think that something with the touchbar's firmware is wrong, but I can't find any instructions on how to reset it. I am really disappointed right now because when I booted an Ubuntu live installer, it worked without asking me for any update, however, the neither the touchbar and the camera are working. I have tried to install Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur, and even High Sierra, but they all lead to the same error. Guess my relative will be using linux from now on.

My 2016 13" got stuck on this. Worked through iPhone Hotspot, but refused to work through any other Wifi

One thing that I tried that seems to work: when it shows the "shut down vs. try again" prompt, wait for five minutes before clicking "try again". Do not click "try again" immediately after it shows up.