When iOS will support web push notifications?

Hi,

Progressive Web Apps is a trend in 2019 and web push notifications for iOS are not supported right now.

Do you have a date for the web push support?

Thanks

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of diegohueltes Down vote post of diegohueltes
75k views
  • The main reason not allowing push notification is because if they allow it then most of the developers will use this instead of native app development and App Store can not review the pwa apps because of that many security issues will come

• This wouldn't be a bad thing.

• "App Store can not review the pwa apps because of that many security issues will come" - :))))

Add a Comment

Replies

Come on Apple, you can't stop the inevitable. Web push will come with or without you, please honor that

Me too. but I don't expect to apple's good reply and react. I'm very very think about learn to Cordova from now. thanks Apple.

+1

+1 must have

I have been following the news for 2 years regarding push notifications on ios. During each presentation of the new version of ios, i feel like i am waiting for numbers on the Eurojackpot that never draws. :(

Please Apple, surprise us all, it will be a big win for all of us. Better than Eurojackpot. :)

Sign the petition guys:

https://www.change.org/p/tim-cook-apple-inc-implement-web-push-notifications-on-ios-devices

+1

+1

Not even looking at it about security, privacy or even revenue for Apple. But how about battery life and wider system performance? That's a key part of how iOS keeps ahead of android. Not allowing too many background processes, etc. If they open up to PWA doing that, will end users start to blame Apple for poor user experience? How can you make sure all developers play nice and use notifications properly and not abusing users? Let's assume they allow users to set clear preferences on these, where to process these? On iCloud before they are delivered to device? But now imagine possibly billions of notifications a day (Average US smartphone user receives 46 app push notifications per day, PWA can be way more?) sent to Apple for pre-processing before delivering to users. Should Apple bear these costs when they have no control or incentive to do so? Not an easy problem to solve. That's why native apps are still needed for certain system features.

• Of course it is a matter of incentive. As you said it may be hard to cope with these 46 billions of notifications but the data collected from it is a huge mine of great information.

• This can be improved with good telemetry for the end user to use. In the end a PWA with background tasks will still require permissions that a downloaded app would. It's simply a matter of delivery and accessibility.

Add a Comment

+1 for this feature

+1 enough is enough Apple

+1 I'm a developer in a low-profit social enterprise. While big commercial companies can afford maintaining several mobile apps for each platform, for us it's just too expensive. Our iOS users have much worse experience than Android ones. So as usual big business is just fine while underpaid social workers and their clients have to bear the costs of your decision.

• This is the unconscious bias steering towards profit over accessibility. It's not a single person's fault (bureaucracy) but I feel could be changed by a single person (vision/leadership).

Add a Comment

+1

+999999999

+1