Desktop and documents won't appear

Since upgrading to Mac OS 10.5 beta desktop icons and documents do not appear in finder.
I have trying accessing these files both locally and via iCloud but both simply show the spinning wheel (loading) icon and no documents.
Any ideas please?

This sounds like a known issue called out in the release notes: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos_release_notes/macos_10_15_beta_release_notes

See the iCloud section.

If you’re using iCloud Drive to sync Desktop & Documents Folders, your Desktop might be empty after upgrading to macOS 10.15. (50789836)

Workaround: Enable Desktop and Documents in System Preferences under iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options, then restart your Mac.

Hope this is helpful

Having the same issue.

This happened on my 2014 MBP. I resolved it by toggling iCloud Drive off and on.

Perfect! This also worked for me on my mid 2014 MacBook Pro.

Thanks, jerryfrit - your fix worked.

Looks like they resolved the issue in the latest beta release for people that have not installed beta yet. However, it is still broken for me on build 10.15 Beta (19A487l).

I have attempted to disable syncing iCloud Desktop & Documents Folders, restarting and re-enabling the syncing. That has not resolved the issue. Looks like I am going to have to recreate every folder and download every file in my documents and desktop. Yay... Lol.

not working for me 😟 i have the same issue

In Monterey OS 12, I was able to solve this sync issue under: Apple> About this MAC> Storage tab> Manage> Recommendations> Store in iCloud... it synced up on my computer to my iCloud. I struggled and thought I would share this information because I had the iCloud set correctly in iCloud preferences and I did not sync. This is under System Information when you click the apple icon. It seemed to be what pushed the computer to show my files!

I find this utterly frustrating! Upgraded to 12.5.1. Now Desktop has disappeared from my finder in locations. Subsequently I can't save my video files to folders. It's driving me absolutely mad. When I tried to do your suggestion it prompted me to pay $9.99 a month for more iCloud space. Has anyone got a fix for this please!

Desktop and documents won't appear

Q