Notes: New Note disabled

Hello,

I have Notes 4.0 (512) running on OS X 10.11 (15A226f). I cannot create a new note. Using the shortcut cmd+N. And the menu item File > New Note is disabled (grayed). I can only create folders.

All my notes are stored on iCloud. I have space available on my iCloud storage plan. Notes sync with iCloud is activated. I restarted my Mac; it did not help.

Did anyone encouter that? Is this a feature or a bug? I Google for this and found nothing.

I can't remember if it happened right after updating to 15A226f or a while after.

Also to note, I had an issue with no free storage available on iCloud. I fixed it by deleting an iOS backup to reclaim 4GB.

Thank you!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of jmetillon Down vote post of jmetillon
37k views
  • I solved it by going to icloud settings inside Apple ID and deactivating and re-activating notes.

• If you go inside of System Preferences>AppleID, then click on Notes (in iCloud) to disable it and then click on Notes (in iCloud) to re-enable it, it will restore this functionality.

• It is absolutely irresponsible to post support advice that deletes all existing Notes data. Is this the new and improved Apple support?

Replies

Same here. Tried every thing noted in the notes and comments above. Nothing worked.

• If you already have a new note added earlier and which is empty, that is the problem. You should delete the empty note and new note button will be back in full force.

Add a Comment

If you already have a new note added earlier and which is empty, that is the problem. You should delete the empty note and new note button will be back in full force.

In my case, I solved the problem with the following steps:

1. Open the notes app
  2. Click preferences on the top menu
  3. Check "Enable the On My Mac account

Not a dev, but for me this fixed it:

Preferences--- Enable the On my Mac account

(I also unchecked Resume last quick note first, per someone else's advice as an easy fix, but that alone did not work)

WARNING DO NOT FOLLOW THE ADVICE IN THIS FEED!!! I lost ALL of my notes on my Mac. They have not been deleted from my phone... yet

Log out of apple ID on mac and log back in. Reimports all notes and possible to create new note again.

I was having the same issue. With notes on my Mac open. I unlocked my iPhone and created a new note on the phone. When notes synced. The ability to create a new note on the Mac appeared again

I've had this problem for years. My iPhone won't sync up to my MacBook, although I've got iCloud and plenty of space. But the main thing that bothered me was that I couldn't create a new note! And I JUST got a solution. Untick the box with "resume last quick note". Cmd N doesn't work for me, and it is still greyed out in the menu-bar.. BUT.. If you move your cursor in the right corner (that is where I have a shortcut to quick notes at least), it pops up an option for a new note!

I was experiencing the same problem and what I found that worked for me was to first open Notes on my iPhone. Then in the dock on my Mac it would show 'Notes from iPhone' (not sure if this would work for the OP as Handoff may not have been introduced yet when the original post was made). Clicking that would open Notes in an 'unlocked' state with all Notes that were saved to iCloud as well as the ability to create new notes. However, if I was to click on the quick note in the bottom right of the screen (while Notes is closed) Notes would revert back to the 'locked' up state and I would have to go through this process again.

YMMV

Running MacOS Monterey (12.6) on a Mac M1 mini

Had this problem today in Jan 2023 & the recommended solution still works, Thank you.

I ran into the same problem and almost panicked because I thought I lost all of my notes after running an update to my OS. Try going to View... and then select Show Folders. Somehow, Google decided to create a Google folder that was of course empty because I've never used it before, so I thought I lost all of my notes; when in reality, all I had to do was navigate to the folder view.

Hope this helps