Catalina beta 5 causing late 2015 iMac to freeze when left unattended

Since this only happens when I return to my comptuer, I assume there is some kind of bug with power-saving features? In any even my screen will be frozen, keyboard and mouse unreponsive, and the magic trackpad isn't even doing its fake click anymore. Reading the console messages is, as usual, unhelpful.

Replies

Same here - issue resolved with beta 6

I have just updated to MacOS Catalina 10.15 official release on my Macbook pro 13" 2018 and have exact the same issue.

Amazing how this has been going on for months without end. Just installed the supplimental update and it's STILL crashing the moment the screensaver kicks in.

What kind of rubbish humor is this, Apple?

I too am having this issue with my mid-2014 Macbook Pro. Screen goes to sleep, computer never wakes up. Doesn't matter if it's connected to power or not. Frustrating to say the least.

For those still experiencing this issue, I'm happy to report that I was able to get to the bottom of the issue with Apple Support via chat tonight.

Go to folder /library/extensions and if there is a file in that folder "Trigger5Core.kext", move it to the trash and empty the trash.

Restart, and you should be good to go! Hopefully your luck is as good as mine!

At least in my MacBook Pro 2019 there is no "Trigger5Core.kext" inside this path and crashes persist for now. The only way I found to deal with them is to use Amphetamine.

Hoping there is a fix on the way!

Happens to me too (2015 13") but ALSO when NOT plugged in. I also don't use the photo app someone else was suggesting. I was just watching a video on Chrome. Only Chrome was running (a lot of tabs though I'll admit.