Universal Links not working properly on iOS 13

Universal Links was working fine on iOS 12 but I ran into issues when I updated to iOS 13.1 yesterday.

URLs that's supposed to open the app when tapped are just opening up in the browser.

Some users on iOS 13 reported the same thing.

I believe AASA file is not being downloaded properly. I tried tapping on Open from the banner that appears on top of Safari when I land on one of my urls. This didn't help.

Sometimes it worked fine after few re-installs and reboots but when you re-install again it stops working.

I exported sysdiagnose and my swcutil_show.txt shows this for my app

Service: applinks App ID: (my app ID)
App Version: 102 
Domain: (app.myurl.com) 
User Approval: unspecified 
Site/Fmwk Approval: unspecified 
Flags: 
Last Checked: 2019-09-26 00:48:24 +0000 
Next Check: 2019-09-30 23:51:38 +0000

while other apps (Apple News app for example) looks like this

Service: applinks App ID:  ZL6BUSYGB3.com.apple.news
App Version: 2300.5 
Domain:  news.apple.com 
Patterns: {"/":"*"} 
User Approval: unspecified
Site/Fmwk Approval: approved 
Flags: systemApplication 
Last Checked: 2019-09-25 18:45:50 +0000 
Next Check: 2019-09-30 17:49:04 +0000

For some reason it's missing the Patterns (from AASA) and Site/Fmwk Approval is unspecified.

I also tried exporting sysdiagnose when universal link was working after several reinstalled and reboots.

My app did have something for Patterns with Site/Fmwk Approval approved

Right now I am confused as it seems like this is happening randomly.

Last night I reinstalled/rebooted the app and non of the urls opened my app This morning I reinstalled/rebooted the app several time and now the url is opening the app every time.

Replies

I got same issue, even on iOS 13.1.2, any idea?

What is the work around. I did start having the problem until 13.1.3

We had the same problem

I'm running into the same issue for an iOS 13 device. I examined the Console output for "swcd" records while installing the app from Xcode, and found that it fails to download App Site Association file with the following error:

Error getting enterprise-managed associated domains data. If this device is not enterprise-managed, this is normal: Error Domain=SWCErrorDomain Code=1701 "Failed to get associated domain data from ManagedConfiguration framework." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=Failed to get associated domain data from ManagedConfiguration framework., Line=250, Function=<private>}

My device isn't enterprise-managed, but it's registered as a test device for my developer account.

So far, I have no idea how to fix this error, nor how to get Universal Links to work.

I've also tried the new format for Association File that Apple suggested for apps supporting iOS 13+, but got the same result (links open in Safari).

Hi Aleks,

I was having the same error. What I did was I uninstalled the application, restarted the phone, reinstalled the application and that error message stoped showing up.

My wild guess is that it may be related to the SSL/TLS or AASA file getting cached between OS updates, which causes for the `ManagedConfiguration` framework to fail to fetch new AASA files after the OS upgrade.

I'm also facing the same issue for iPhone 8+ with iOS 13.1.3. It works well with iOS 12, when I updated it to the latest version seems like the Universal Links are broken. I tried this https://ios13.dev/universal-links-debugging-on-ios-13-cjwsux93w001p6ws1swtstmzcPls help to resolve this issue.

I am seeing the same issue with ios 13.1.3. This is a new application i am developing and have wasted so much time on this thinking it was something i was doing wrong. Put the app on ios 12 and it worked perfectly.

Has anyone discovered the root cause or is there a workaround?

Same problem here with iOS 13.2 and it's freaking me out 😠

hmm, 13.2 actually resolved it for me

Hi,

I tried uninstalling and I am still getting the same error:

Error getting enterprise-managed associated domains data. If this device is not enterprise-managed, this is normal: Error Domain=SWCErrorDomain Code=1701 "Failed to get associated domain data from ManagedConfiguration framework." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=Failed to get associated domain data from ManagedConfiguration framework., Line=250, Function=<private>}

Something else to try?

I'm seeing it now on 13.3....

Just restart both Mac and iPhone. That helped me.
I'm using iOS 13.1.3

Same iOS 13.1.3 and that doesn't help.

According to stackoverflow, root cause of this issue can be that Safari is forced to request desktop website.

Try to open Settings > Safari > Request Desktop Website > All websites > Switch Off.

This issue occurs more oftenly on iPads, since it makes more sense to show desktop websites on big screens rather than on small ones.

I hope that my fix someone's issue.

Thank you tos666. But when I check Settings > Safari > Request Desktop Website, I found that it was off all the time.

So your solution didn't work.