APFS Encrypted Volume corruption during reboot (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49218)

I've not seen this one covered elsewhere, and whilst I've already tried the Feedback Assistant to get it to Apple, I'm not sure if it's being picked up or looked at there...

The problem I've encountered is that whenever I use Disk Utility to create an APFS encrypted volume within a container, it works, but only until I reboot. When I reboot, after looking in I'm prompted for the password for the volume. I'm 100% certain of the passphase I used, but, after entering it the UI "shakes" to indicate the passphrase was wrong. If I try again, either with the same passphrase, or, trying something like my login password, the UI will go away, but, the volume does not mount.

In Disk Utility I get the error:

Could not mount “Data”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49218.)

And that's that. I've now lost some data permanently, which is a bit frustrating. I excluded that volume from TimeMachine backups to ensure that there weren't unencrypted copies of the data floating about anywhere (even though my TM volume is encrypted (HFS+, not APFS)).

Sadly, this is 100% repeatable, and I've had it happen a few times. Thankfully, not much data has been lost forever, but, it makes it tough to trust APFS Encryption.

Steps that I took to do this:

1) Had a new HD inserted in my MacPro (2019)

2) Drive was formatted with GUID partition map

3) Initial APFS container created (no encryption)

4) Once Container existed, as well as initial whole-disk-sized APFS volume, I clicked on the Container and "+" to create a new container.

5) Chose APFS Encryption as the FS, generated a passphrase with 1Password, and am certain it's accurate.

6) Volume mounted just fine, was able to read/write data to it no problem

7) Rebooted

And that's where it went off the rails.

Has anyone had better and more reliable experience with APFS Encrypted volumes?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of howyagoin Down vote post of howyagoin
12k views
  • Exact same issue! This is a TOTAL FAILURE on Apple’s part..the last straw for me. After using Apple products for my entire life, I’ve completely lost faith in them as a company. So many errors, inconsistencies, incompatibilities, redundancies, and outright confusion. And now I’ve got lost data that was important enough for me to encrypt..I’m done.

Add a Comment

Replies

Hello! I've had trouble accessing my external LaCie time machine drive for a while now and nothing I had found online has helped. Couldn't mount it, erase it or use first aid on it. Would get failed messages non stop. The only solution that has helped I have, fortunately, found was by this guy on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9y1oRYlmh0. Formatting the container within the disk utility to a MAC OS Journaled had worked and I was able to access the partition anew and then restart the time machine.

I am no developer, but was reading these forums and thought of posting this in order to, maybe, help some of you.

I had/Have this issue multiple times with my encrypted timemachine disks. Always sane unmounts. I only lost time machine data until now. I use it with external USB SATA Docks. Ventura 13.3. It is a shame, Apple ignores this issue so long. Data loss is the death of trust!