How to Fix Cracking and Popping Sound ?

Hello, is it anyone here ( or on this planet ) that can help with this issue on Catalina Mac OS 10.15.5 Beta 3 (19F72f).

I am using MacBook Pro 16 inches. 😟

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JoyGlory Down vote post of JoyGlory
236k views
  • Same issue but with a new iMac 10-core i9....running Big Sur 11.6.1. I don't seem to have CoreAudio in my Activity Monitor to close and restart as others have recommended.

• I have the same issue after upgrading to Monterey 12.0.1. The sound continuously cracking both for output and input streams. I'm on Macbook Pro 13` 2015 (i5 2.9).

• Running Big Sur (v 11.6.2) on an MacBook Pro (13" | 2019) -- making sure that the ONLY application running is the one that you need/want to get audio from (in my case using Chrome)... so I had to quit FireFox, and Zoom applications and BOOM!!!! All of the choppy-ness is GONE and audio sounds WAAAAY better.... so, thanks to those who mentioned quitting other applications to fix this annoying problem!!!!

Replies

it is mind-blowing that after all these years iMac users are still experiencing this crackling sound issue for a ridiculous expensive laptop! I bought my MacBook Pro in 2020 and had on and off issues with the crackling sound ever since. It was gone for quite a while, now I did an update (sanoma 14.4.1) yesterday and it's back again! Never will buy an iMac again because of this. Did anyone find a way to fix this problem??

I started getting these crackling/popping noises on my 2023 MacBook Pro along with my 2024 M3 MacBook Pro. I'm surprised this issue has been known for this long and still hasn't been fixed.

I listen to music via Bluetooth on a BoseQC45 headphones on a M1 Max (64GB Ram) without any memory pressure, and this glitch happens very often (while typing this text, the glitch happened at least 3 times - it sounds like a scratch sound you would get on the old vinyl records).

For me I noticed the glitch or pop / crackle sound occurs when a A2DP packet flushed occurs. At first I thought it was RF interference, but I am doubting this more and more. I am considering getting a bluetooth dongle for the M1, but have not gotten round to do that just yet.

Has apple responded to this problem in this thread yet?

Here is a log extract of when the sound glitch occurs: error 19:46:49.546658+1200 bluetoothd A2DP packet flushed: L2CAP (chip) flush occured. Current sequence=40623, timestamp=18463685