productsign is not able to find cert from keychain

We are trying to sign a Mac installer (.pkg file) using the following command.

productsign --sign "Developer ID Installer: MyCompany, Inc." unsigned_installer.pkg signed_package.pkg

But we are getting the following error.

productsign: error: Could not find appropriate signing identity for “Developer ID Installer: MyCompany, Inc.”.

When we try to find the certificates using

security -v find-identity -p codesigning
, we get the following output.

Policy: Code Signing

Matching identities

1) 1234....6789 "MyCompany, Inc."

1 identities found

Valid identities only

1) 1234....6789 "MyCompany, Inc."

1 valid identities found

When tried as:

productsign --sign "commonName" unsigned.pkg signed.pkg

We get error as :

productsign: error: Could not find appropriate signing identity for “commonName”. An installer signing identity (not an application signing identity) is required for signing flat-style products.

Can you give us any on how to troubleshoot and fix this issue?

Replies

Did you find any solution? I encounter the same problem...

Me too - hoping a new reply might get this noticed.

some problem and no solutions - very common situation at the applehead community

I am Getting the same error, when I try to sign the package. Using MacOS Big Sur 11.1

Code Block
security -v find-identity -p codesigning
find-identity "-p" "codesigning"
Policy: Code Signing
Matching identities
0 identities found
Valid identities only
0 valid identities found

However, my Issued by: Developer ID Certification Authority shows up in the Keychain Access, and I am able to validate it.

Has anybody found the solution to this? My Syntax for the command is in line with what everyone uses:

Code Block
/usr/bin/productsign --sign 'Developer ID Installer: Comp ID (ID_NUMBER)' '/Users/user/package-tosign.pkg' '/Users/user/SIGNED/Signgned.pkg'

Any Help would be appreciated - Thanks!

I am Getting the same error, when I try to sign the package.

OK, let’s see if we can get an easy win…

Have you got the new WWDR intermediate? See Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Intermediate Certificate for details.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi Eskimo

• I do have in my System keychain access the Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority that expires: Wednesday, 8 February 2023 at 04:48:47 Indochina Time
  • I do have in my Login Keychain access the Developer ID Installer: <MY_COMPANY_NAME>, (<COMPANY_USER_ID>)

But when I run the command I get

productbuild: error: Cannot write product to "/pathtoPKG". (Could not find appropriate signing identity for “Developer ID Installer: <MY_COMPANY_NAME>, (<COMPANY_USER_ID>”.)

Any suggestions?

What does this print:

% security -v find-identity

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Was encountering this issue too, and after looking in Keychain Access, I realized my certificates were showing up as "not trusted." Refer to this thread; essentially, Apple periodically expires their Developer Relations Certification Authority cert.