Animation

Hello all.

I looked through the archives before coming here on the forum because I am sure I asked this question before but I couldn't find it. So, here I am.

In my app I have a lot of animation with sound. The animation is a flip book kind of animation. The kind that you see in old time animations (you know 26 frames per second). In the code, each drawing and corresponding sound is called through NSTimer. It works well and the control is total! However, these animation shorts up the memory.

I am sure someone told me that I could feed all the drawings I made along with the sound bites into commercial animation programs and produce a animation file with a certain format. A discrete package that contains all the pictures and sounds and takes less memory when called. Then I could call that file to run using code. (I can't remember the exact code that calls the animation.)

Does anyone know a good animation software package that can create a animation file made from individual graphic files created in Photoshop and the file format that it should placed in?

JR

Accepted Reply

Replies

Blender, perhaps? I'm not sure it works with Photoshop files, but it you can use it to combine your images and sounds into a video file that will be far easier to use in your app. Anyway, it's free!

Blender hmmm?

Thank you bob133. I'll look into it. Is there a particular file format that Xcode needs? Does anyone know the code or documentation about the code that calls video file?

JR

I read the links and will have to read them again to really understand the concepts of playing video files in my app. But it gave me enough of an understanding to go looking for code.

I got the code I needed from stackOverflow. And I was able to put my animation from a video format (mp4) and by doing it this way I saved 10 MB on that video alone and now I can get rid of a lot of code (NSTimer and a method for each animation frame - at least 1,500 lines of code right there). I have to tweek a few things in my animation video - piece of cake. (I made it in a trial version of Adobe After Effects.)

This will make things a lot simpler and maybe I can get the memory usage so low, I can run it on my old iPad2.

Thanks again bob number 133, you're number 1 to me.

JR