Time Machine logs in macOS 10.12

Can someone point me to the place where I can find detail about TimeMachine backups taken under 10.12? Under 10.11, Console.app was able to search for "backupd" and retrieve statistics and other info about a backup, but all seems to have changed under 10.12.

Thanks,

Charles Johnson

Accepted Reply

Try this until a better solution comes along:

log show --predicate 'subsystem == "com.apple.TimeMachine"' --info | grep 'upd: (' | cut -c 1-19,140-999

CJ

Replies

Found it - all new logging system with new api calls renders previous log searching apps useless. Also, it appears that backupd no longer writes statistical information to the system log.

CJ

what's the secret? My time machine has been going for over a day & it's at less than 1% finished

Same issue, Time Machine never completes...

Try this Terminal command line to observe current Time Machine process. It might help diagnosing the problem.

sudo fs_usage backupd

Could you share where the log can be viewed? Thanks.

Could you tell us the new info please?

Best I can tell, you can find Time Machine logs with Console.app using the query "process:backupd category:TMLogError" or from the command line:

log show --predicate "'process == "backupd" AND category == "TMLogError"'

However, this doesn't return nearly the amount of useful information that you could get from the syslog command in previous OS versions. In fact, so far it's been next to useless helping me debug my TM problems. Maybe there are better search criteria that I should be using. If anyone knows, please post.

Also, Console.app only seems to let me view live events. If it wasn't open when an error occurred, I can't search for it. I have to use the log command in Terminal. Is there some documentation for Console.app that I'm not finding? If you view Console Help from within the app itself, those docs haven't been updated for Sierra.

Try this until a better solution comes along:

log show --predicate 'subsystem == "com.apple.TimeMachine"' --info | grep 'upd: (' | cut -c 1-19,140-999

CJ