App Store not showing update button when new version is available

We are currently forcing our users to use always the last version of our app available on the store, in order to handle breaking changes in the server.
We show an alert at app launch every time a new version is found on the app store and we bring the user to the app page on the store. It is working correctly, but we noticed that often the app store does not show the "update" button but the "open" one instead.

At the moment the process is very confusing because when the users press "open" it goes back to the app but then the alert redirects them to the app store again to update the app.

This looks like a bug, there are similar questions in this topic from last year, but similar issues has been recently reported on stackoverflow too http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37065424/itunesstore-not-showing-update-button-for-app

Was this already reported and fixed? Is it a regression? Did you receive any other report about this in the last months?
Are there any plan on your side to work on this issue?

If this is not going to be fixed soon what could we do to improve our users experience?

Which is the best way to help the user to move to the new versions and being sure they will be able to update the app when prompted?
Thanks

Replies

Hi,
I uploaded a build version with 4.9, previous was 4.3. App has uploaded successfully and showing version no 4.9 but I am looking OPEN button instead of UPDATE. I wait for to see UPDATE button instead of open more then 24 hour, but till now It is showing OPEN button. Please help me.
Thanks in advance

Go to "App Store > Updates". From top menu, select "Store > Reload Page" or use ⌘ + R shortcut.
One of the advices was pulling down from top to refresh the update section but it didn't work for me (maybe due to a version change or because of update section being completely blank at the moment). But "Reload Page" did the trick.

This issue still exists.

After releasing a new app, and searching for it in the AppStore, the result shows the app with an "Open" button instead of "Update" button.

However, if a user goes into the details page it shows the "Update" button.

Furthermore, if a user goes back to the search result page the button gets changed to the "Update" button.

Looksl like this issue has been happening since 2016 and never got fixed...or is this by deisng?

Is this logged somewhere as a bug, and is this going to be fixed anytime?

Hi,

I have the same problem, the app is "Ready for sale" & when we are installing the new app, App Store installs the latest version of my app.

But any existing user tries to update application App Store show Open button instead of Update.

It is not even updating automatically also.

Looking for the solution

Thanks in advance.

I am having the same problem. After releasing the approved app, the app in the app store never showed "Update" but only "Open" in the app store. The app shows the date of the latest version of the app but the app is the prior version before this update. Please help.

Thanks a bunch for your help, Sergio
App updates do not appear simultaneously across all regions. One server may get an update faster than another.

Generally it's not a user-friendly approach to force an app update. Improving your server architecture to handle older app versions should be done where possible.
  • ok anyway on my phone i don't update for a week after i go to the app store and i scroll then updates appear if i don't do it there is nothing not even a symbol on the icon. How do you explain this

Add a Comment
EDIT: removed
I am also facing the same issue, App Store showing cloud icon instead of Update button when previous version is already installed in iPhone. Did someone find the solution to this issue?
F**k apple for this shit.
Add a Comment

it appears that 5 years in this issue has yet to be resolved. I am having the same issue. Numbers say's there's an update, I click on the update link to send me to the app store, and there's no update button. What's up apple? wheres the fix? how does this get resolved? do you want us to continue using the app? cause I cant use it on my desktop without an update. this has been going on for a while now. someone please help.

• ok. so what i think i just figured out. I'm on Catalina 10.15.7 and need 11.0 but desktop says it's up to date. so apple just made me have to upgrade my desktop to use the app. guess I'm going to google sheets. this is where apple sucks balls.

Add a Comment

Usually when this happens, I usually wait 1-2 hours and then it automatically pops up. I have no idea why and when exactly this happens but this is the best I can do you help you all. :)

I had this issue while on xcode 12.5 and trying to upgrade to xcode 13.4, I didn't see an update button but instead an open button. After several minutes of researching for solution I decided to go through xcode page on appstore and discovered that I need macOS 12.3 to use the xcode, (i was running on MacOS 11.x). I updated my macOS and completed the installation, and voila! I can now see the update button. I hope this helps someone.

2023 still has the problem with me it doesn't show me that I have an update and I have to log in and manually scroll for updates to appear. I've been struggling with this for 6 months now have you found a solution

ok anyway on my phone i don't update for a week after i go to the app store and i scroll then updates appear if i don't do it there is nothing not even a symbol on the icon. How do you explain this