"Messages in iCloud not available"

I am currently attempting to sync my texts & photos throughout all my devices (Mac, iPad & iPhone), so that when I delete something on one device it deletes it (or in contrast receives a new message/I take a new photo) on all my other devices.

However, when I'm on my phone and I'm on the iCloud settings and I attempt to turn on messages, it says "Messages in iCloud not available because iCloud & iMessage accounts are different"

When I go to "Name, Phone Numbers, Email" my AppleID is "name@gmail.com" and my iCloud is "name@iCloud.com"

I no longer use the iCloud domain and want to change it anyways, but am unsure how because it won't let me. What do I do?

Replies

So it sounds like you did create 2 accounts, one was the original @icloud.com account and then a new one with @gmail.com as the email.

You can only sync if they are the same account, if this is the case you could have added your @gmail.com address as a secondary email on your main account but now that it's created as a new account you may need to chose what one is going to be your new account and sign out of the other.

If it's in fact the same account and one was logged in recently and one is a older login session and they are both domains of the same account logout of the one and login again.
@anthonyrossbach is correct – it sounds like you have 2 Apple IDs and you should decide which account you want to be your primary. I have had some success merging two Apple IDs by adding one email as the secondary to the other, but some things (like Messages) may not migrate over. However, things like App Store purchases should. I would recommend contacting Apple Support for help with this since it's an Account issue and they have a lot of tools at their disposal.

The easiest way to do this is to go to your settings then your messages after you find messages you will click “Send & Receive” there you will add your email or number and wait for a few seconds then something should pop up on your mac asking if you want to use both your number and email for imessage and facetime you will then click ok and you can go back to your icloud on your phone and sync your messages with your Mac. Hope this helped!!