Can we run Xcode 12 in macOS Catalina?

Yesterday, I just saw the WWDC 2020. Xcode 12 was introduced🤩. But I was wondering whether I can run Xcode 12 in Catalina or not? Please someone help me with this...
  • The same problem - I have macbook pro 2012(16 GB RAM + 512 SSD + 750 Sata drive) - and now my macbook is ruined without update xCode, I can't develop by using it=( but it's powerful enough for develop 3D games etc, it's so awful. The Book Develop in Swift Fundamentals with XCode 11 is not fully compatible with XCode 11.7 and when I run XCode 12, it shows the error message that you cannot use XCode 12 with Mac OS 10.15 you require a Mac OS 11. Can someone suggest some working solution

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Sorry for the wrong English.

Replies

Yes, you can run Xcode 12 with the current macOS, Catalina. It will work perfectly, although you can update to the developer beta of Big Sur.
Yes, it supports Catalina. I recommend using the latest Big Sur beta, however, so that you can update your app to support the latest technologies.
xcode releases dot com is a great place to get this information. Now, I'm looking for a site that give the deployment target limits and the Swift versions... So far it seems like you need to launch a project and go to the project General tab and scroll down. Swift version is in the build settings.

Xcode12 doesn't work with Catalina. The following message is displayed if you try to run Xcode 12.5:
You can’t use this version of the application “Xcode-beta.app” with this version of macOS.
You have macOS 10.15.7. The application requires macOS 11.0 or later.
  • Xcode 12.4 (at least Command Line Tools) works perfectly fine on Catalina.

Add a Comment
I have macOS Catalina, and now I am trying to update from Xcode 12.4 to 12.5, but I'm getting an error saying I need macOS Big Sur. How is it possible I got Xcode 12.4 then? Or has something been changed. This is quite annoying because I have a high-end iMac that is too old for Big Sur, but powerful enough to handle large apps and compiling.

Is this just me, or are other people facing this problem as well?

Thank you,
  • The same problem - I have macbook pro 2012(16 GB RAM + 512 SSD) - and now my macbook is ruined without update xCode, I can't develop by using it=( but it's powerful enough for develop 3D games etc, it's so awful=(

• https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/install-macos-old-mac-3654960/

Add a Comment
Yes, Catalina can run Xcode up to version 12.4. You can download it directly in this link:

https://developer.apple.com/download/more/ (search for Xcode 12.4 / Apple Developer account needed)

Update: starting with XCode 12.5, Big Sir IS required.

I'm on a Mac issued by an employer who insists that upgrading to BigSur will interact badly with our MDM/Firewall/etc, so I used xcodereleases-dot-com to find and download XCode 12.4