Error installing macOS Big Sur: "The package %@ is missing or invalid"

I tried to install macOS Big Sur on my MacBook Pro 2019, now running Catalina 10.15.6b1.

However, in every trial after downloading the 9.56GB package, the error info "The package %@ is missing or invalid" always pop-up.

Anyone has a solution to this?
Tried changing my network and re-download. Resolved.
I'm having the same issue - What did you do with "changing your network"? It's such a frustrating experience to have to download 10GB every time haha.
Nevermind, I just disabled WiFi (since I'm hooked up to ethernet) and it worked. Odd problem.
Would never thought of using ethernet... My Mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15" only took 30 minutes to download but my 2020 Macbook Pro 13" i spent all night trying to figure this out until i found this post Thanks Everyone!!!
today 31 Aug 2020 =. Ive had the same issue . can someone please help.. the earlier post 2 months ago also is facing the same issue.. would appreciate some solution.. thanks guys
Did any of you have a security solution installed ?
Try turning off all your firewalls

same on my MacBook 13" 2019 year end model

I am also faced the same issue. Try installing the latest Catalina update and then update to Big Sur. It worked for me.
I am getting this error while updating to Mac OS big sur. I am not able to resolve the problem by changing network and even by turning off the firewall.

Tried to upgrade macOS Big Sur on mac book pro 18 macOS catalina 10.15.7
The package “%@” is missing or invalid. An error occurred while installing the selected updates.
Nathaniel Gibson is my name from Liberia, Monrovia , west Africa
This is the solution to the problem.
This might not work for ever one but please try and see

Firstly restart your macbook
while your macbook is restarting press and hold the Comman + R
and wait for the next option to show up and select the user name and hit on contiune

and select Disk Utility and hit on contune
select first Aid at the upper bar and create additional partition above 10GB
and hit save.

Try your Installation again.

Good Luck
to fix this error shut down your Mac press command+ option+ p+ r release the keys after the second start up sound or when the apple logo appears and disappears for the second time worked for me
Hi everyone,

I had this exact problem, and tried most of the things on this thread.

However, I managed to successfully download and install Big Sur (finally!) by starting the computer in safe mode (hold down SHIFT on start up, let go when you see the apple logo).
Pretty simple solution, yet worked!
Hope this helps someone!
Meant to say (if it’s not already obvious) that I downloaded it in safe mode and installed it
ok, so I tried a few things:
  • Safe mode tip: didn't help

• installed latest Catalina updates: didn't help

• finally I tried the "create new >10Gb disk partition" tip from Nathaniel Gibson above and also installed the latest security updates and this seemed to do the trick and then it worked. I suspect that the creating new partition somehow forces the OS to clean up disk storage issues while it is resizing the partitions and this fixes whatever the problem was.

You need to install latest Catalina update.
That's what I did and it worked.
In case somebody doesn't know how to update the latest security update, like me:
There is a button "Advance..." below the Big Sur update box, click the button and the latest Sarafi security update will show up.
This worked for me
Disable file vault
Restart your mabook
Update using the app store
I believe this is a security issue. I utilize a DNS honeypot and VPN to limit advertising cookies and unseen hooks by Amazon, Google, etc into my home in order to privatize my personal data and browsing history and this causes issues with updating my Apple, and other services. When I disable it, everything updates just fine. I then enable my security and feel secure once again

Device: MacBook 2019 16''

Solution:

1. Upgrade to latest Catalina from Apple Icon > About This Mac > Software Update
  2. Download Big Sur Update from App Store
  3. Install Big Sur from Launchpad

Lastest catalina update (10.15.7) fixed it for me.

Make sure your current named OS is fully up to date before upgrading a new named version. I had a couple updates pending on Catalina when I got the “%@ package missing” error trying to install either Big Sur or Monterey. Updated Catalina, then did Monterey upgrade with no problems; didn’t even have to do the Big Sur upgrade separately like I thought I might.

Error installing macOS Big Sur: "The package %@ is missing or invalid"

Q