Big Sur installation stuck

Install has been stuck for four hours on the Apple screen, with status bar at 100%...

I tried rebooting and status bar quickly went to 100% and again stuck...

tried to turn on verbose mode (all the ctrl keys and w, Apple key and v or l) and got nothing...
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Georgevicbell Down vote post of Georgevicbell
110k views
  • same here except mine gets stuck at 14% at the installer i installed catlilina after my hard drive had removed my full macOS partition so i wanted to dual boot my mac and this issue hasn't been resolved

• Same is happening to my mac. Is there any solution to it yet. Please help.

• Did you find a solution? Mine’s been stuck for 9 hours. I’ve tried to do the Option power up and selected Hard Drive and it still gets stuck.

Replies

I have the same issue. BigSur froze my iMac. I’ve spent nearly four hours with Apple tech support and still have no solution. I was hoping to find some kind of solution but all the suggestions here have been tried and have been unsuccessful.

Is there a fix? I desperately need to help to get back online. I can’t believe that this would be out there and cause so many people problems.

• Same here, even though clear a lot of memory, I can’t get back to a previous IOS. MacBook Air needs support from apple now please!

Add a Comment

Hey all - I have had this happen to 5/ 80 devices - trying to find a a common denominator - I think its filevault - did you all have filevault enabled?

Cheers

• Can you please share how did you recovered 5 devices on which had this issue.

Thanks.

Add a Comment

We’ll my iMac is now a brick. Any chance Apple may spend some of those Apple Developer’s Fees to provide us with some support?

• Ditto. My whole computer is locked up now. I am so mad. Regretting i let my son talk me into Big Sur

• Not your son's fault. Apple should have just made this work. Try some of the tips posted here until one of them works. This is recoverable, you just need to find the path that will work for you.

Add a Comment

Same-

I have been working on mine for 3 days. About to go insane. I have tried everything. I currently have something i haven’t seen. Any new tips??

Still seeing some desperate users here, so I will summarize some previous posts.

1. Clear parameter ram: Reboot with Command-Option-P-R held down (fast, easy, if this works, great!)
  2. Reboot into safe mode: Hold down shift before the logo/load screen comes up.
  3. Reboot into recovery mode: Reboot holding down Command-Option-R

In recovery mode, you can connect to wifi and do a network install. Takes a while, but one way to get a remote re-install if your computer won't boot.

From Safe Mode, you can: a) Reinstall Big Sur b) Run Disk First Aid c) Backup your files

If you reinstall, and come back to the same problem: A) backup your files, then do a Clean Install (this means you lose your files, so hence backup first) B) you can try to find the needle in the haystack (what was Big Sur trying to install from your previous system that is incompatible?) and remove it, but that requires some deeper expertise.

These are all Mac101 troubleshooting tips. I'm currently having this problem, and this is what I'm doing to try and fix.

• Another option that I saw mentioned elsewhere: Use the Option key during startup for Startup Manager. (Let's you connect to wifi and choose a disk to boot from; not working for me yet, but just keep trying)

Also, for those who can get into Safe Mode and are panicking because they don't have a backup of their data. You can plug in a USB drive once you're in safe mode, and find your old data in /Data/Previous System/... For peace of mind, you can back up your files, and then do a clean install. I may go that route myself soon.

• The comment at the bottom of the page appears to be the official recommendation from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT207019

Namely, "If the issue persists, press and hold the power button until your Mac turns off. Then unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs and other non-essential devices. There could be an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables. Then turn your Mac back on."

Add a Comment

I created the account just to respond to this thread.

Last weekend, I was basically forced to "upgrade" to the BS (Big Sur) system cuz I needed to download iMovies but it no longer supports my "old" OS that came with the MBP I purchased in 2019. Like so many others, the progress bar got stuck at ~95% when rebooting. I tried everything mentioned here, but nothing worked. I was only able to reboot in "safe mode" and get into the "fancy" "Big Sur (BS)" system, but could not do anything other than browsing the most basic web pages. I wasn't able to open any documents or log into my online drive, and most importantly, external hard drives could not be recognized!

After wasting over 7 hours of my life trying to sorting out the mess, I called the support and talked with a technician over the phone for another 2 hours. I could tell that he tried everything, but still at no avail. He then presented me with two options: 1) wait for more experienced "Apple engineers" to investigate (which could take a very, very long time), or 2) erase everything and do a "clean install" (which still would NOT guarantee that it would work). What a Sophie's choice. I went with option 2), and asked for an extra day just to email my most important documents by getting into "safe mode" again.

This is not the first time I got screwed by Apple. Last year, I lost all the photos and text messages on my iPhone after "upgrading" the system. I suppose Apple has given me enough reasons not to trust their products so much again, and I'm now more open than ever to trying out new brands

The same thing happened to me a few months back and the only solution apple could give me was to completely wipe my computer and start from scratch. This meant I lost all my files and photos. All they said was that I should've backed my laptop up on a hard drive.

Same problem now. After downloading it, it booted up, then the apple logo showed then the progress stucked on abt 10%. What to doooo? :(

They had me enter into Safe mode, back everything up to the iCloud, shut down and enter "command" + "R," try re-installing Big Sur, when that didn't work because th eprogress bar was still loading constantly, they ha dme go into disk utility, macOS HD, and erase. Then, go back and install mac os HD big sur.

Just update to Big Sur last night and stuck on progress screen whole night. Cannot boot on recovery mode or safe mode. How i can fix this? Anybody can help?

Hey guys. I was stuck on 90% for a day but what actually worked for me was the following:

Clear parameter ram: Reboot with Command-Option-P-R held down.

I really hope this can help some of you lucky few out there who can solve the issue with just a Ram reset.

There is a fix for specific root cause, caused by a large number of mdworker files.

If you are upgrading from macOS High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina to Big Sur your upgrade could fail if it matches a very particular condition.

If folders in multiple directories in the location below

/private/var/folders///C/com.apple.metadata.mdworker have more than 20,000 files your upgrade could fail.

In some situations users have reported 500,000 – 2,000,000 files!!!

Entire solution is here: https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-upgrade-to-big-sur-failed-stuck-progress-bar-fix-prevention/

• ~ thanks for posting... Mr. Macintosh FTW! i tried many different reboots over the past few days and happened to see your post just before giving up and erasing the HD to do a "clean install". A couple notes that may help others:

when booting to Safe Mode, be sure to enter the same user / folder name when "creating a new user" -- not even sure why this is needed to get to Safe Mode, but if you use a different name you will not have Admin rights and will not see your existing apps and data.Safe Mode no longer allows File Sharing, which includes mounting an External HD -- again, why... since backing up files is something you actually want to be able to do in Safe Mode. ***?I was able to get to Google Drive via Safari in Safe Mode (but possibly only when i correctly created the "same" user as in #1) -- this allowed me to back up some files, as neededwhen following Mr Machintosh's instructions, i went ahead and deleted all the files in the /private/var/folders/ -- this was presented as an alternative and was much faster than the find command with the -delete option specifiedit seems like i may have had to reboot twice for this to work -- initially thought it didn't, then went back in Recovery mode to confirm the delete worked... then BOOM the subsequent reboot worked!I actually tried to install Monterey from Safe Mode -- hoping that would work, but still got stuck on the Apple logo. So this fix still worked and i am now on 12.0.1.

Thanks again, @Mentorofmen

• Great, this solution works for me!!! Thanks

• I’m not 100% sure, but this seemed to be the ticket for my disastrous upgrade too.

I had FileVault on before starting the upgrade and missed the memo about deactivating it. Before finding this info, I was able to successfully Mount and decrypt and backup important files using this helpful blog, Recovery Mode, and the terminal: [https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2019/01/15/unlock-or-decrypt-your-filevault-encrypted-boot-drive-from-the-command-line-on-macos-mojave/].

But it wasn’t the entire problem. It wasn’t finishing installing even after decryption.

But deleting these files associated with what I think was Spotlight (?) was the ticket. I had over 500k when the limit was only allegedly 20k.

After doing this I reran the os install in Recovery Mode but it seemed to have problems with DHCP. I was waiting to do a direct connection to my router after the kids were down, but restarting normally (it was still on the black screen of course) and being patient for the progress to begin, seemed to work finally.

What a chit show.

Add a Comment

Big Sur total lock-up like so many others on this thread. Apple progress bar stuck at 30%. Tried booting into safe mode, internet reset and then 2 hrs last night with Apple technician chat. Another hour this morning. No joy; I now have an appointment at the local Apple "Genius Bar". What Apple genius a)released software that does this and b) hasn't fixed it in over a year? At the very least this should come with a health warning for older machines (mine is a 2015 Air)

• ~ mine was also a 2015 MBA -- try the link / fix provided above by @Mentorofmen (older MacBooks will most likely have more than 20K files in those folders):

https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-upgrade-to-big-sur-failed-stuck-progress-bar-fix-prevention/

Add a Comment

all asking questions but seems, no one have answar, sick apple problem n sick developed system

Add a Comment