Making an app that can be set the default web browser.

I have a few web browsers on my phone (Firefox, Chrome) and none of them can currently be set as default web browsers on iOS 14. I am assuming that there needs to be some work done in the app in order for the system to consider it a web browser and show in the list of browsers you can set as default.

I am also assuming that the web browser needs to comply with some sort of minimum functionality in order to work as a default.

I have been looking for a while for the documentation for this, and I haven't had any luck. What do I need to be able to set an app as a default web browser? A plist? Conform to a protocol? Anything else? Any points to the documentation will be appreciated as I cannot seem to find it on my own.

Accepted Reply

We are excited to share details about how to configure an application as a default, but are not yet ready to provide official documentation on this topic. However, I can provide a few details now.
  • Applications will need to take the new Managed Entitlement 'com.apple.developer.default-web-browser'.

• Applications must comply with a set of minimum functional criteria for handling web links and allowing user control of page navigation.

For now, you can start of the process by sending e-mail to 'default-app-requests@apple.com' with details about your specific application.
  • Related to this thread.

We want to implement "default mail". We got the entitlement, and we also add URL scheme mailto: in the plist file. However, in iOS setting app, we still cannot found my app in the default email list. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Much thanks.

Add a Comment

Replies

We are excited to share details about how to configure an application as a default, but are not yet ready to provide official documentation on this topic. However, I can provide a few details now.
  • Applications will need to take the new Managed Entitlement 'com.apple.developer.default-web-browser'.

• Applications must comply with a set of minimum functional criteria for handling web links and allowing user control of page navigation.

For now, you can start of the process by sending e-mail to 'default-app-requests@apple.com' with details about your specific application.
  • Related to this thread.

We want to implement "default mail". We got the entitlement, and we also add URL scheme mailto: in the plist file. However, in iOS setting app, we still cannot found my app in the default email list. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Much thanks.

Add a Comment
Hi Folks, we have made a small adjustment to requesting the new entitlements:
  • For the Default Web Browser entitlement, please use "default-browser-requests@apple.com"

• For the Default Mail Client entitlement, please use "default-mail-app-requests@apple.com"

• Hi Frameworks Engineer, I've sent 4 emails to default-browser-requests at apple.com and never got a response. Also contacted Apple Dev Support and opened a new post here: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/697531 My first request was sent in August, about 6 months ago.

Can you help me?

• I had the same problem, did you get your problem solved?

Add a Comment
So actually what is the steps to make your application as default browser?