Problems with WiFi on macOS Big Sur

I've updated to Big Sur from Catalina and I'm having trouble when connecting to WiFi networks. At first no network appeared and now even though it has connected silently to my usual network, it is showing as no connected, but internet actually works.

Anyone having this kind of problems so far? I haven't seen anything related on the forums nor the release notes.
  • how does one get around this problem? Anyone fixed it yet? I’m starting to be convinced it’s my cannon utility software on my Mac as it’s not compatible with big sur for wifi and causes corruption of files somehow. Maybe be wrong - but re imaged no issue then got back to transferring files over wifi from camera and it’s all went haywire again.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Could you please report this via https://feedbackassistant.apple.com and attach a sysdiagnose?
You can trigger a sysdiagnose by running sudo sysdiagnose from Terminal. Thank you!

Replies

Help!!! I'm facing this annoying problem everyday since I upgraded my Catalina to macOS Big Sur 11.0.1.

The Wi-Fi is connected but with no Internet access after a while.
The Wi-Fi has no problem in Catalina.

Same here. No internet connectivity after a while, for a while, all common resets and fixes done. No success. Seems to be an OS issue.

@Apple please fix ASAP!

You're not alone. This problem only occured when I upgraded to Big Sur.

What I noticed is that I can now connect to 5ghz networks easily. I'm now having a hard time connecting via 2.4Ghz, using the same SSID.

Once again, this only happened after upgrading to Big Sur, from Catalina.
How do I report this via https:// and attach the sysdiagnose without internet access?

Thank you!
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of JCEO Down vote reply of JCEO
Omg apple please fix it asap
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid-2015), 2.5 gHz, Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.
Upgraded to Bug Sur 11.0.1 this morning.
When I upgraded my MacBook Pro, it was connected via Ethernet.
When I disconnect the Ethernet and tried to connect via WiFi (5G), the MacBook says it is connected via Wi-Fi but I am not connected.
I have to shut down the MacBook Pro and restart. Then I am able to connect.

So, Bug Sur was not a typo. I deliberately typed Bug........
Is there a fix?
I’ve had the same problem all morning. After upgrading to Big Sur I had no internet connection despite being connected to my home wifi. I moved GlobalProtect out of my applications folder to my desktop for safe keeping and disabled it. Then I restarted my computer and GlobalProtect didn’t automatically stat on boot up. Now the internet connection is back and working without any wifi changes. I hope this helps someone.
Mac OS Release version 14.0.1 (16610.2.11.51.8)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
Core i7 2.5, 16gb ram, Dual video

A problem appeared on Big Sur OS. The computer is connected to the internet via wifi. At some point, any traffic ceases to be transmitted through any interface, while the connection status is active. 

Today I noticed that when the wifi connection is connected, the ip address is not displayed in the network settings panel. 

At the same time, the OS interface itself starts to hang when trying to open or close any application. 

It is impossible to reboot the computer via the "reboot" button, as the system is not responding.
I had the same problem, my mac was connected to the wifi but the connection cut off like every 2 minutes. I saw someone say that uninstalling the vpn helps so I uninstalled it, restarted my mac and installed it again. Everything seems to work now.
Had the same issue since I updated to Big Sur. Spoke to Apple Support several times before finding Demona. She had a pretty simple solution to the problem. Here it goes:

======
We are going to create a New Network Location starting with booting to safe mode.

1 Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2 Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac.
3 You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

Once that is completed,

1 Open System Preferences > Network.
2 On the 'Locations' drop down, select 'Edit Locations'.
• Note: If the Network pane is locked, you must unlock it first.
3 Click the '+' button to create a new location.
4 Give the new location a name and click 'Done'.
5 Make sure the new location is selected in the 'Locations' drop down menu and click 'Apply'.

=====

And just like that, everything started working smoothly once again.

Demona Rocks. Be like Demona!
Hello I have the same problem here and i don’t know if airdrop os going to work without wifi or not?
Same problem here too after updated macOS Big Sure 11.0.1 @Apple please fix ASAP!
I am never update OS again.....
Yeh I can’t reach the internet now, I can join WiFi networks, even my iPhone which is online and sharing WiFi my Mac can connect but can’t find internet.
Same issue on my Mac Pro. Had it hooked up to a Ethernet and it took down an entire switch at my work. It was sending a loop. Now the wifi won't even work...
My wifi shows connected, but i don’t get an ip with dhcp.
I've installed Big Sur last night and got the same issue and RESOLVED it today morning.
What i did:
  1. Reboot laptop with Shift key to open Soft Mode.

2. Checked if internet is working through this mode - WORKS

3. Reboot laptop again without Shift key - EVERYTHING WORKS FINE.

Hope this will help you guys! Cheers