Problems with WiFi on macOS Big Sur

I've updated to Big Sur from Catalina and I'm having trouble when connecting to WiFi networks. At first no network appeared and now even though it has connected silently to my usual network, it is showing as no connected, but internet actually works.

Anyone having this kind of problems so far? I haven't seen anything related on the forums nor the release notes.
  • how does one get around this problem? Anyone fixed it yet? I’m starting to be convinced it’s my cannon utility software on my Mac as it’s not compatible with big sur for wifi and causes corruption of files somehow. Maybe be wrong - but re imaged no issue then got back to transferring files over wifi from camera and it’s all went haywire again.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Could you please report this via https://feedbackassistant.apple.com and attach a sysdiagnose?
You can trigger a sysdiagnose by running sudo sysdiagnose from Terminal. Thank you!

Replies

WPA and Big Sur do not play well together.

Check your network, get on a WPA2 or better and try again
Greetings,

I am also a Macbook Air 2017 user. Whenever I did the BigSur update, I cannot use Wifi properly from that moment on. Although my distance to the modem is maybe 10 meters, my internet does not receive properly and I constantly experience disconnections. Also the situation worsened with the 11.2 release.

Thinking it might be a hardware problem, I took it to Apple and they changed the wifi card too. But the result is still the same after the BigSur update.

Please solution ..
After last update I have a lot o problems with my Mac

List of my problems :
  • the internet connection seems working for a moment and it suddenly stops.

• when I click on wireless icon, I click Network preferences, and I am unable to see configurations as the windows seems to be stuck.

• I am unable to restart or shut down the laptop unless I press the power button.

After restarting I either have no problems laptop is working for some time and all problems start again often, I am even unable to switch on the wi-fi at all. It just doesn't seem to work and I am forced to restart again.
I've lost my internet connection to Safari like I lost my money on $GME stonks last week! Oddly enough, my google chrome browser works and Big Sur 11.2 is lost in California. Please help, this is ridiculous that these kind of problems are happening, if you guys aren't ready for an update, then don't release it!

I was close to going to Apple to buy a new laptop today but saw someone having issues with a new model as well. Maybe that's the master plan anyways, planned obsolescence. I read ya, I read ya.

Listen Dr. Evil, please respond and fix my half eaten apple!

Mic drop!
Same problem here, recently update and wifi drops a few times a day, switching from one network to another works instantly which shows me that it's not the wifi that is the problem. Hoping to see a fix anytime soon.
Recent OS update 11.2.1 didn't fix this bug... Seems that my iMac switch from my router to the wifi repeater and back (Same SSID). If you have a repeater try unplugging it; connection is WAY worst, but no more dropping connection.
The same problem here: yesterday I upgraded to Big Sur and now I'am experiencing WIfi poblems. I don't see any possible solutions in this thread, or am I missing something?
If you have a VPN, I un-instalied it and then re-installed it. This solved the problem for it. I am using Express VPN.
Found a solution using the Wi-Fi repeater (now with a different SSID)
only for the iMac... Everything's back to normal. The absurd is that
before Big Sur I never experienced those problems.
I don't understand why this is marked as Solved. Clearly many people still have this issue and there has been no 'fix' per se, simply some workarounds.

Big Sur on MBP 2016, after the MBP goes to sleep and wakes up the wifi is disconnected, the only way to get it back up is to turn the wifi off and back on. very annoying. have tried all the 'fixes' suggested - resetting NVRAM, renaming location, setting dns to 8.8.4.4. DHCP and HOST etc. Nothing seems to work.
Dont work for me either infuriating!
What good does a quick boot when u have to disconnect and connect wifi Every time.
Fix!
I have been having issues with wifi on my Mac Mini (2018) since upgrading to Big Sur. It would connect for a short period, start to be unreliable, drop connection for about a minute or so and then be unable to find the network for a while.

After trying all sorts, including wiping and reinstalling Big Sur, I traced the issue to either the connected old Apple Cinema HD display or the (generic) USB-C to DVI adapter I was using for it.

Since unplugging them my wifi issues have disappeared and everything is stable. So certainly worth checking any adapters you might have connected.
If I can contribute, try to disable Power Nap in battery settings. I am still testing, but I think it solved the issue for myself. WiFi was not working when waking up from sleep.

MBP 13" Late 2013
Big Sur 11.3 Beta (20E5196f)
Why is this marked as solved? This should be marked as planned obsolescence given that majority of the people including their computer details are all older machines (my 2014 mpb included.) Like everyone else I've tried everything to fix including a reinstall but nothing works... there is simply no fix for this. My ability to work, meet project deadlines and answer support tickets is dead in the water. This Big Sur update is costing me money and loss time, wifi is dead drops every 20 minutes, had to end a client call yesterday because I lost connection so often. I was so tempted to go out and buy the imac mini because I can't afford the downtown but then got to thinking 1) what if this issue occurs on the new machines as well? 2) Why would I reward apple with another sale and just reinforce this technical negligence and what feels like planned obsolescence?

I wonder why this hasn't been fixed by now? Starting to feel like a trend by apple.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of TCap Down vote reply of TCap
Found this fix on YouTube.

systems preferences. Network. Advanced. Click on DNS tab. Click on the + sign and add these servers: 8.8.8.8 And 8.8.4.4