AX88179 Drivers for Big Sur 11.0

Well it seems that the drivers for the ethernet adapters are probably going to need updating. Does anyone know where I can find the updated driver for Big Sur? I had this issue with the last beta and just remembered it now that I'm without an ethernet adapter to use. I use the 3 Gig adapter from Amazon Basics and it's worked excellent.

Replies

@TheExplorographer I got the same.

But if I run
Code Block
csrutil enable

again in recovery mode, then everything is back to normal. But without the working driver :D

Hope this helps!
Hi! I'm not a developer not an expert but I found an easy working solution with updated drivers for MacOS 11, posted it there:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252026015?answerId=252026015021#252026015021
Thanks to gdfgsdgrrnm2, It's work for me with full speed of Internet and enable SIP.

For downing: Go to download tab, and check Software & Tools below, and get "Apple macOS 10.9 to 11 Drivers Installer(Beta)" version 2.19.0
@gdfgsdgrrnm2's solution worked for me. Thank you so much gdfgsdgrrnm2.

Multiline
Well it turns out to be pretty simple to have it running, and don't have to risk having SIP disabled.
You have to turn off SIP to successfully install the extension, but when it's installed, it's enough to add an exception for kernel extensions from the ASIX manufacturer, so that you can turn SIP on again without breaking it.
reboot to recovery mode (CMD+R at boot) and open up the terminal
csrutil disable
reboot
install the latest version of the driver from asix: https://www.asix.com.tw/en/product/USBEthernet/Super-Speed_USB_Ethernet/AX88179
allow it in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy
reboot to recovery mode again and open up the terminal
csrutil enable
spctl kext-consent add 5RHFAZ9D4P
reboot
BlockQuote

I was able to get IbrahimMD1's solution working using the v2.18 (8-04-2020) driver, NOT the new v1.0.0d3 beta driver (12-04-2020). The beta driver would work only when SIP is off as it states in the readme that comes with the download. The old driver however can be used with SIP re-enabled.

This was confusing to me because somewhere along the way I think the naming/versioning convention changed and ASIX released a separate beta driver.
I wanted SIP enabled post installation so @gdfgsdgrrnm2 's solution worked for me. But remember to install AX88179 178A for macOS 10.9 to 10.15 Driver Installer v2.18.0, NOT the ASIX USB Device Installer macOS 11.0 Driver v1.0.0d3 as this one needed SIP disabled all the time.

Thanks guys!
@gdfgsdgrrnm2's solution worked for me. Thank you Thank you Thank you so much gdfgsdgrrnm2!

You have to turn off SIP to successfully install the extension, but when it's installed, it's enough to add an exception for kernel extensions from the ASIX manufacturer, so that you can turn SIP on again without breaking it.

reboot to recovery mode (CMD+R at boot) and open up the terminal.
csrutil disable
reboot
install the latest version of the driver from asix (Mac 10.9 to 10.5 v2.18 driver *not the latest 11.1 beta driver*)
allow it in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy
reboot to recovery mode again and open up the terminal
csrutil enable spctl kext-consent add 5RHFAZ9D4P
reboot

Love this solution but... when i use recovery mode I can’t csrutil disable. I get the command not found error. When in normal mode I can use this command but not execute it. It requires recovery mode. What to do?
@Partyfart
Are you using an M1 Mac? There is a known issue with disabling SIP via csrutil disable.

If not, verify Terminal has "Developer Tools" permission in System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy->Developer Tools. Also, verify that Terminal when not in Recovery Mode is using zsh versus bash. Note: In recovery mode, Terminal will still use bash. Lastly, make sure you have Xcode installed. I do not think it is causing your current issue, but is necessary to run anything in Terminal coded in Swift.
I just updated to Big Sur 11.2 and my TrendNet USB Hub with Ethernet, AX88179 chipset is working pretty good.
Thank you this worked for me on 2015 MacBook Pro running Big Sur beta.

Lou Cioccio
I did not have any improvement with MacOS 11.2 (still dropped every 3 seconds), but with the 11.3 Beta the interval went to every 45 minutes to hours. Definitely more usable. My hub is the Razer Core X Chroma & Razer mentions this is an issue and informs that every MacOS user should contact them to "repair" the unit. Besides that not making sense, the support did not know anything about it. I am going to see if a Windows computer can update it since Razer Synapse 3 is not available for MacOS and therefore, one must use a Thunderbolt 3 Windows computer to update it.
Not working for Mac M1.

The extension won't load, even if I manually run the command:
Code Block
sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/AX88179_178A.kext

I get the error:

Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Incompatible architecture: Binary is for x86_64, but needed arch arm64e" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Incompatible architecture: Binary is for x86_64, but needed arch arm64e}

Got this issue after unfortunate upgrade to MacOs Bir Sur :-(

These are my conditions:
  • MacOS version 11.2 (20D64)

• MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

• USB Hub UGREEN 50852

And this is what solved my problem:
  1. Boot into Mac OS Recovery Mode by holding down the ⌘ and R keys during system start.

2. Open Terminal from the "Utilities" menu at the top of the screen and run following commands:

Code Block sh
csrutil disable # Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP)

Code Block sh
/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 5RHFAZ9D4P # Add manufacturer ID to allow kernel extensions from ASIX

Code Block sh
/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent list # Check that ID was added

3. Reboot
4. Download and install the latest version of the driver from ASIX web-site
Code Block language
https://asix.com.tw/en/product/USBEthernet/Super-SpeedUSBEthernet/AX88179

5. Restart and once again boot into Recovery Mode. Open Terminal and enable SIP
Code Block language
csrutil enable

Hope this was helpful 🙃
@ax2mx, which driver did you download from the ASIX website?

I'm also getting the same problem on Big Sur macOS 11.2.1 on my 2017 Macbook Pro.

Was it this one:

Apple macOS 11 Drivers Installer(Beta)
For Intel & Apple Silicon platforms. This is a DEXT beta driver, please open readme first
Version

• 1.0.0d3

Release Date
  • 2020-12-14

File Size
  • 246.9 KB

Or was it this one?

Apple macOS 10.9 to 10.15 Drivers Installer
For Apple 32-bit/64-bit platforms
Version

Release Date
  • 2020-08-04