AX88179 Drivers for Big Sur 11.0

Well it seems that the drivers for the ethernet adapters are probably going to need updating. Does anyone know where I can find the updated driver for Big Sur? I had this issue with the last beta and just remembered it now that I'm without an ethernet adapter to use. I use the 3 Gig adapter from Amazon Basics and it's worked excellent.

Replies

For anyone still looking for the answer in Big Sur. I manage to make it work using the latest drivers, the "beta" version for Big Sur in the ASIX page:

asix.com.tw/en/product/usbethernet/super-speedusbethernet/ax88179

It is important to follow the instructions in the readme inside. And after you install and reboot, open the ASIX DEVICE APP that has been installed along with the drivers. There you activate the device.

Hope it helps.

MacPro 2015 Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91), I have done all the action following the above steps. but without successfully
I installed Apple macOS 11 Drivers Installer(Beta) version 1.0.0d3 from ASIX site and followed their Readme instructions.
The ethernet adaptor works fine.

My system specs:
  • Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91)

• MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

• CSL - HUB USB 3.0 incl. Gigabit Ethernet with AX88179

Please if you can elaborate on how you managed to update .. I did not understand what to do after installation! I would love to interpret step by step ..
Followed ax2mx's instructions (thx) - also the reminder about the app for activating by f.lucadetena came in really handy (thx too).

However, if I re-enable the csrutil (aka SIP) and reboot out of Recovery-mode, the device appears to be disconnected from cable.
Ideas?
I can now live without SIP function, but I rather keep it on, if possible?

Thanks!!
Finally, the issue has been resolved with the latest Big Sur update from Apple.
I'm currently running macOS Big Sur version 11.3 (20E232) and it detected the driver automatically I believe, didn't do anything to get it working.
Anyone installed last update and could enable SIP again?
It's end of April 2021 and I was able to install the beta driver for Big Sur for my MBP 2015 using LandingZone dock. Had to disable SIP and all that jazz.

However, I noticed that com.asix.dext.usbdevice is on 100% CPU usage, and on my 1Gbit internet connections I am getting max 100kbps (via speedtest.net). As soon as I disconnect the LAN and switch to WiFi, I am getting ~450kbps.

So something is not well with this driver.

@Az-heem
Are you saying it works without downloading a driver at all or by downloading the 2.19.0 driver & not doing anything else?

Finally, the issue has been resolved with the latest Big Sur update from Apple. 
I'm currently running macOS Big Sur version 11.3 (20E232)  and it detected the driver automatically I believe, didn't do anything to get it working. 
BlockQuote

Last week I ran the adapter by trying the solutions here. I even enabled SIP again. But yesterday I had to reset the computer to factory settings and it is not working right now. No matter what method I try, it doesn't work. Any ideas? Or any suggestions for an adapter that will work anyway?

edit: It doesn't work whether I disable SIP or not.
Asix removed ASIX_USB_Device_Installer_macOS_11.0_Driver_v1.0.0d3 from their download page. I had kernel panic after installing last big sur update, and had to remove it.
@GamerBrosLegacy
Yeah just updated Big Sur to latest version. Did not need to do anything else. It's still working just fine.

ASIX 1.1.0d2 was posted 5/11 which doesn't require disabling SIP. I loaded it and I'm seeing slower Ethernet speeds.

155 down/230 up

With my Aukey adapter I get 689 down/757 up.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016
Big Sur 11.3.1
I tried to install the newest driver(2021/05/11) on a MB M1. I get the error message "only Intel platform supported". Is any possibility to use AX88179 on a M1?

MacBook Air 2020
Big Sur 11.3.1
  • As of 5/21, a new version was released (1.2.0) which supports Apple Silicon & Intel Macs now. You'll be able to install that.

Add a Comment
So...some people are saying that they didn't have to do anything after updating to 11.3.
I have recently updated to Big Sur ver. 11.3.1 and ASIX also released a new version of the driver yesterday(2021.05.17) for Intel and Apple Silicon and....it is still not working!!
If you try to install the new driver it still gives the error message that "Apple can't scan the file for malicious software..contact the developer support" etc.

Ethernet adapter with AX88179 chipset needs some attention.

If there is any solution apart from disabling SIP (also this is a very old workaround), please let us know. Was really hoping that there will be a proper solution by now...

I have Macbook Pro 2017, Big Sur 11.3.1
  • As of 5/21, Asix released another new version: 1.2.0. I was able to install this one no problems on an Intel Mac- don't have an M1 to test it on, so I can't speak to that. I have a problem with IOInterrupts rendering ethernet useless; however, this maybe due to my specific device as it's notorious for ethernet issues across all OSs.

Add a Comment