AX88179 Drivers for Big Sur 11.0

Well it seems that the drivers for the ethernet adapters are probably going to need updating. Does anyone know where I can find the updated driver for Big Sur? I had this issue with the last beta and just remembered it now that I'm without an ethernet adapter to use. I use the 3 Gig adapter from Amazon Basics and it's worked excellent.

Replies

As a foul workaround, I can only suggest to disable system integrity protection in parts for allowing third party kernel extensions;

Code Block
csrutil enable --without kext

It worked for my AX88179 based adapter using drivers from ASIX.
There is a new driver on ASIX website, 2.17.0. The date is kinda a little bit behind but when Big Sur came out, they only have 2.16.0. I haven't tried it on Big Sur without disabling SIP. You should try it.
How did you manage to get it working? With the SIP partly disabled I still can't get the extension to be loaded.
Is there some fix for this? I'm waiting for the driver for macOS 11 but 2.18 seems to work only for 10.9 to 10.15 sadly.
Resolved:
Download new driver from asix revision v2.18.0 and install
  1. Boot MacBook in recovery mode

2. In Terminal: /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 5RHFAZ9D4P

3. Start MacOs X and accept pop up in system preferences/security and privacy. All works.

The suggestion of using spctl in recovery mode worked for me too.
Worked for me aswell.
Any other safe solution? I have the same chipset.
Hi,

You need check developer ID
(An example based on ASIX ELECTRONICS CORPORATION)
  1. Install driver and check if it exists kext in: /Library/Extensions/AX88179178A.kext

2. In terminal: sudo su - (type your password)

In terminal install kext:

/usr/sbin/spctl -a -vv -t install /Library/Extensions/AX88179
178A.kext 

You see:

/Library/Extensions/AX88179_178A.kext: accepted
source=Notarized Developer ID
origin=Developer ID Application: ASIX ELECTRONICS CORPORATION (5RHFAZ9D4P)

3. Next boot MacBook in recovery mode
4. In Terminal add developer ID: /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 5RHFAZ9D4P
5. Start MacOs X and accept pop up in system preferences/security and privacy.
6. In terminal check added developer ID: /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent list

You see:

Allowed Team Identifiers:
5RHFAZ9D4P

7. In terminal, check driver loaded: kextfind -report -b -loaded |grep com.asix.driver.ax88179-178a

You see:

com.asix.driver.ax88179-178a yes

I've downloaded the last version of drivers on Asix website (v2.18) but not sucess.
Try to follow all the steps bellow but on the step 5 doesn't show any pop up and step 7 is showing:

com.asix.driver.ax88179-178a no

Hi,

You need check developer ID 
(An example based on ASIX ELECTRONICS CORPORATION)
Install driver and check if it exists kext in: /Library/Extensions/AX88179178A.kext
In terminal: sudo su - (type your password)

/usr/sbin/spctl -a -vv -t install /Library/Extensions/AX88179178A.kext 

You see:

3. Next boot MacBook in recovery mode

You see:

5RHFAZ9D4P

7. In terminal, check driver loaded: kextfind -report -b -loaded |grep com.asix.driver.ax88179-178a

You see:

I did everything mentioned in the previous replies but, it didn't work.
Then I found this article, I installed the drivers provided in it and it worked after the restart. The drivers are primarily for Catalina but they worked with my BigSur beta install on the MacBook Pro 13 (2018)

link: plugable.com/2019/10/04/usb-ethernet-adapter-not-working-after-macos-catalina-10-15-update-we-can-help/

I followed the instructions, but the extension is still not loaded :-(

In the systemreport / software / Extensions/ the status of AX88179178A is not loaded.
After reboot kextfind -report -b -loaded showed "com.asix.driver.ax88179-178a no"

/usr/sbin/spctl -a -vv -t install /Library/Extensions/AX88179
178A.kext/

/Library/Extensions/AX88179_178A.kext/: accepted

override=security disabled

Same boat here too. And I'm a yellow-belt (at best) at developer stuff. I know there's an answer out there.
I have successfully got the adapter working in Big Sur 11.0.1 Beta (20B5022a). This is the first version of Big Sur I have attempted to install. I'm not sure if a clean install makes a difference.

The workaround involves a few extra steps. But here is exactly what I did.
  1. Go to the Asix support page asix.com.tw/en/product/USBEthernet/Super-SpeedUSBEthernet/AX88179?utmsource=ASIX.Youtube&utmmedium=video&utm_campaign=ASIX .

2. Click the Downloads tab.

3. Click the Software & Tools link.

4. Download the Apple macOS 10.9 to 10.15 Drivers Installer v2.18.0 2020-08-04 3.0 MB.

5. Proceed to install the driver.

At this point, you will be prompted to reboot. Upon reboot the driver won't work. This is fine. Proceed to follow the previous instructions by kraczynski:

/usr/sbin/spctl -a -vv -t install /Library/Extensions/AX88179178A.kext 

You see:

. Next boot MacBook in recovery mode

You see:

5RHFAZ9D4P

When you get to step 7, you will notice that macOS reports no instead of yes. That is ok. That happened to me too.

You see:

Now, go to the Plugable website. Download and install v2.16.0 of the drivers from here: plugable.com/2019/10/04/usb-ethernet-adapter-not-working-after-macos-catalina-10-15-update-we-can-help/

This time, during installation you'll be prompted to allow the extension and the install should fully succeed. After rebooting, your network adapter should be enabled and working again.

I am not sure if driver versions make a difference. I suspect that I will be able to upgrade to v2.18.0 of the drivers and they will begin to work. I'll report back if that is the case. But for the time being I wanted to report the precise steps I took to get everything to work.

Well, tomorrow is the day that officially there will be no working driver for this chipset for the current release of MacOS X.

ASIX should be ashamed of themselves.