Can I pair watchOS 6.0 with iOS 14?

My iPhone 11 Pro is running the iOS 14 beta and I went to pair my Apple Watch series 4, which is running watchOS 6.0 apparently (I hadn’t used it in a while).

Watch app tells me I need to update my watch before I can finish pairing, but then it says it can’t check for an update due to lack of internet connection (which is false).

Not really sure what to do here... my watch is kind of bricked right now... seems like the only solution would be to downgrade iOS back to 13 or pair the watch with another iPhone and then update watchOS, reset it, and try pairing with my iPhone again... though I don’t have another phone. I have an iPad though...
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of beng0ld Down vote post of beng0ld
17k views

Replies

I had the same problem, and the only solution I could find was:

• Pair watch with a device running iOS 13—either another test device, which I had thankfully, or revert your current device and start from there)

• Install the watchOS 7 beta profile to the watch—the order of this step is important, the watch won't be able to update to 7 but you need the profile on there, I think that's what's causing the problem

• Make sure watchOS has restarted and the profile is actually installed on the watch

• Update the paired device to iOS 14 beta

• Update the watch to watchOS 7 beta

• If you downgraded your main device for this, you can end here, otherwise unpair the watch and re-pair it to your main device

I've filed a bug report about this. If it's not possible to add a new watch to an iOS 14 Beta device, it should be in the release notes.

This issue is still happening. I have an iPhone X running on latest beta release and it's been a while I used my Apple Watch 4 series. When tried to pair the watch, I was not able to proceed further to pair as I see "Unable to Check for Update" error screen with Start over and try again options.
Do we have a tracking ticket for this bug?
The reason you can’t add a watch is because the beta only focuses on the phone only and adding a watch isn’t supported at this time. The only way to help you is to find a older iPhone with iOS 13 on it and set it up on there with the same Apple id
Not sure if this will work for everyone or if I just lucked out. I was in the same situation, here's what I had to do get it to update.
  1. unpair your apple watch.

2. Go to beta.apple.com and download the beta Watch OS7 on your phone. It will fail but that's okay, it needs an apple watch to be paired.

3. Once it fails, go to the watch App on your phone and pair the watch.

4. It should allow you update to the OS 6.X.X

Hopefully this helps. I want to say, when you try to download OS7, it erases the previous updates, so you get a clean slate next time you pair the watch.
Hi,

I was able to get it to work by following these steps:

1) pair Watch with another spare iPhone running iOS 13.
2) update Watch to latest stable release( mine was updated to 6.2.8)
3) unpair.
4) pair manually to iOS 14 device ( I had issues pairing with the normal method) by clicking on the i when the image appears on the watch and also click on pair manually on the iPhone.
5) setup as new

this is what worked for me.
I uninstalled beta iPhone very and updated to iOS14 public release. The watch won’t update manually, or pair or pair to my phone. So this is not just a beta bug.

My watch is a brick at this point. Super frustrating.
  • I’ve had this same experience now. Downgraded to iOS 14.7.1 from iOS 15 Beta and now my Watch won’t pair because it’s restored to watchOS 8 beta. Essentially bricked my watch now

Add a Comment
Having the same issue senior apple tech advisor said I had to pay $300 and send my watch in 😭
This happened to me, Im very frustrated.

I have an Apple Watch Series 2 and iPhone 11 Pro running iOS14. I'm stuck in the pair/unpair and cannot update because of internet loop. I'm not sure if I have any other options! I'm bummed!
You may find the answer by trying to turn off your device, when the power off option appears you should long press on the display until the erase option appears. choose "yes" connect to charging and continue the process. This will erase your device to factory settings. Turn on and start the pari process. After you paired again, restore from the back up in Watch app from your iPhone. I solved this way to an apple watch series 2. Hope it helps.
Tried again after this iOS 14.0.1 update still having the same issue. This is ridiculous and I’m sad that I no longer can use my Apple Watch Series 4
  • Did you get your watch working yet?

Add a Comment
I have the same issue but with a serious 1 (yes it’s very old). Will update if I find a solution.
@KRYP2NITE There is a bug with trying to update your apple watch with IOS 14 or IOS 13 it will not let you. I had to get a phone with IOS12 or below (I used my old iPhone 6 plus which is at IOS 12.4.8) and it worked perfectly fine updating my Moms Apple Watch Series 3! Hope this works for you.

Thanks
Samuel Moorman
Sorry @KYRP2NITE after you get it update disconnect the Apple Watch from the old device and pair it with your phone.

Thanks!
Samuel Moorman
I have the same issue with a brand new apple watch series 5 and iOS 14.0.1. I got error “Unable to Check for update, your phone is not connected to the internet.” It’s just infinite loop from there. 

I tried using iphone 6s and 8, both are running newest iOS 14.0.1 and I got the same error. I don’t have other iphone running older iOS. 
So after 6 hours of trying different things I finally got my S1 watch paired on iOS 14. Tried it once, then unpaired and tried a second time with another phone which was not working. Both times it worked successfully. My steps:

Absolutely imperative to be on a 2.4 ghz network. I use multiple ubiquiti access points through my home. Had to make sure the 5ghz band was completely shut off and reset both access points. Then I reset the network settings on the phone and rebooted the watch. The first time pairing I clicked the pair button that pops up when the watch is near and got the no network connection loop. I then reboot the phone again and go into the watch app (do not click the watch pair now that pops up). Open the watch app and hit pair. After these steps the update showed up and updated and paired with the watch successfully.

I then unpaired and tried on my wife’s se 2020. Same steps with resetting the network settings then I clicked the watch prompt that automatically appears and got an automatic unpair right away. Rebooted the phone and opened the phone app manually and paired successfully.

I’ve tried this twice and it’s finally worked both times. Hopefully this helps some people.