Big Sur Battery Low Notification - Missing

Hi There,

I'm experiencing some frustration with Bug Sur and I wondered if this is something anyone else has experienced..

Essentially - I've noticed that when the battery goes below 10pc, it doesn't notify you. So, you can be working away in full screen (which I do, frequently) or in the middle of work calls and the Mac just "dies".

In Catalina a notification came up saying that your battery was low and to plug it in - but not Big Sur (yet)

Please, put this back in - I don't want to have to keep checking my status bar all the time
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JIMMWX Down vote post of JIMMWX
12k views
  • Hi, I've experienced this too and I found a work around that helps me quite nicely. And you can add a personal touch if you like.

There is an accessibility setting where you can have announcements spoken to you. In the accessibility preferences, go to spoken content and check speak announcements. With options, you can choose from a few default phrases or add you own. It won't tell you that your battery is low but it is a noticeable enough sound to tell you to check for the battery announcement. I was even in the other room about to make dinner and I heard it go off.

Hope this tip is useful. :)

Add a Comment

Replies

Same here i Hope its fixed in beta 2
Can confirm this is also happening to me on the latest beta 11.0 Beta (20A4300b) no warning at all and laptop will just work to shutdown.
Same here & it's so frustrating experience.
Same here. Working in Lightroom and my computer just died. Why isn't there a notification anymore or a notification like the iPhone. It's an important feature to lose.
I have the same issue and I'm on Big Sur beta 3. I didn't have this problem on previous beta version so it is most likely a bug rather than Apple removing this feature.
I am seeing this on Big Sur 11.1. Very annoying.
Happened to me on 11.1 Right now. Still not fixed.
Have happened many times with me on BigSur. (Currently on BigSur 11.1)
Having just upgraded the OS, I expected that (like my iPhone and iPad) a low battery warning would appear.
On both of these devices, the percentage shows alongside the icon and the icon changes colour when battery power gets low; however, on my MacBook, there's just the icon top right.

To re-iterate, on my MacBook, not only is there no warning issued but I need to interrogate the battery icon to see what's left, rather than being able to just glance at the icon like on the iPhone & iPad.
very awkward experience, hope the UX team gets on this!
I have also been experincing this issue. Very annoying! I hope apple fixes it soon!
Same problem here... 2 times this week during 2 meetings with clients... 😡
Solved with: Battery Monitor: Health, Info app warning at 15% and showing percentage on menu bar.
  • thanks for the helpful link!

Add a Comment
One of the nicer features was the notification popping out and telling me time to recharge the battery. Loved it as it applied the KISS idea, Keep It Simple CENSORSHIP OF THE LAST WORD STARTS WITH AN S, WOW!!!! Now suddenly with the new iteration of big sur that neat feature disappeared and like a user below commented suddenly your screen goes black and in his case had the extra embarrassing experience he was using the macos for a business meeting. Completely destroying his credibility especially if you're trying to make a good impression.

For all the hoopla and in the end like an old song said DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE, I do not think macos is superior to windows 10. I am not touting windows as I think my next experiment will be with Ubuntu. But certain nuances in windows that one takes for granted the macos does not have. Try finding a folder and its location using that cro-magnon spotlight and good luck wit dat!

Or right clicking to create a new document off the desktop. Or the office version in macos has a lot of nuances missing etc etc etc. For now this macos is just pretty and like to watch movies on it etc but for professional purposes I'd prefer a windows environment, not archaic UI that tortures you to get things done.

Now as a bonus the idiots removed the battery alert so we have another thing to worry about. ANOTHER ONE OF MY WORDS CENSORED, WOW LET'S SEE IF I can say throw up
  • Very true. I was complaining windows had too many updates early - windows 10. I saw a similar thing here last 3 years. From Sierra to Big Sur. Yes installation is smoother and no driver issues(sound card,pheriperals etc) like windows. But never faced a low battery warning issue on windows. Also the battery replacement error, battery failing in 300 cycles. After a 6 months diagnosis - Apple could not identify the issue - but asked me to change the battery - which I did. They say Macs lost longer - but with such basic issues what is the point. Even when a battery charge reduces on windows - it will prompt you to plug a power source. In Mac once you get 'Service Battery' message - you have to spend $200 and change your battery. The other point is regarding office. It is much slower and sub-optimal on a Mac. Looks like it can't be your main device for work.

Add a Comment
@eweik THANK YOU!!! I just downloaded the app and think my problem will now magically disappear.
  • "Now as a bonus the idiots removed the battery alert so we have another thing to worry about." YES. THIS. PUT THE DAMN ALERT BACK FOR CHRISTS SAKE... Mouse runs out of juice and just disconnects with NO WARNING - so you are screwed for 10 - 20 minutes while you wait for the mouse to charge. At least the alert would let me know I had 10 or 12 minutes left and I could wrap up what I was working on. Now I don't have that option because the so-called "developers" decided to remove it... Apple, get your shit together.

Add a Comment

Still NOT fixed! Big Sur 11.6.1

• Having the same issue in 11.7.10. Can't find settings for enabling notifications for low battery.

Add a Comment