Touch ID MacOS Big Sur

Since Updating MacOS Big Sur, I am unable to add new finger prints, or use finger prints to unlock my Mac.

anyone else with this issue?

Replies

Same here, tried everything - works only once after reboot :/
I am having the same issue. Touch IDs are not unlocking the machine despite of re-registering fingers multiple times. Has there been any solution yet on this?
Pretty much the same as everyone else, sometimes it will work after closing the lid, same as it might after a reboot.

I'm also running JamF Pro which may be partially responsible. Is anyone else running Mac management software?
Looks we have solution on reddit)
Steps:
  1. Open System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options

2. Click the lock to make changes/enter password

3. Enable the checkbox for "Show fast user switching menu"

I disabled this to remove an unused icon in my OS menu bar. After I put it back, I tried waking the Mac from sleep and unlocking with Touch ID, then repeated to see if it would work a second time. Looks like this did the trick for me.

try going to System Preferences>Touch ID and making sure that Use Touch ID for: 'Unlocking your Mac' was ticked! This made mine work again :)
I tried all the below suggestions..

Have deleted my fingerprint and tried to re-add but it won't let me add a fingerprint :(

WTH Apple..

same problem with me. Macbook air 2020
Same here - touch ID is basically broken after updating to Big Sur, even for other apps.
Same here. After updating to Big Sur, touch id is basically broken. This is true even for other apps that used to use it before.
Mismo problema, no soy el unico tengo la actualizacion 11.1 y aun no solucionan el problema
I had this issue this morning too right after my update. Called support and it's fixed! Here's what they had me do:

1- Shut down your computer (not restart)
2-Once its shut down, hold down the start button for 10 seconds. then lift your finger
3-wait a 20 seconds or so, and then turn on the computer as normal.
4-Log back in

You should be able to login/add a fingerprint now! If not call support and they will help. Fixed mine!
I had the same issue where i could not add fingerprints in Big Sur 11.1.
Following link worked for me.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295
I followed MeghanM6's recommendation and it worked. See my clarifying notes:

1- Shut down your computer (not restart)
2-AFTER its shut down, hold/press down the start button for 10 seconds (you'll hear a sound like it's about to turn on the computer but it won't actually turn on). Then lift your finger after 10 seconds.
3-Wait 20 seconds or so, and then turn on the computer as normal. 
4-Log back in and go the System Preferences and select the "Touch ID" to add your finger prints.
  • I can't believe we have to do this but I'm glad there's a solution for it.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Pumi Down vote reply of Pumi
Same here. After updating to Big Sur, touch id is basically broken.
I also followed Meghan's suggestion below which worked...thank you