Touch ID MacOS Big Sur

Since Updating MacOS Big Sur, I am unable to add new finger prints, or use finger prints to unlock my Mac.

anyone else with this issue?

Replies

Resetting SMC or zapping PRAM didn’t work. Any other fixes? Just updated my 2018 MBP to OS 11.2 and no fix. 🤨
I had the same problem and came here. Gimmick1973's post fixed my issue! I can use my touch ID now!!
Yes! Having the same issue! That's why I am here... although I am confused about solutions... what have people found?
Hello,

same issue here:
  • MacBook Pro, 15", 2019

• upgraded from latest Catalina release to Big Sur 11.2

• since the upgrade my TouchID button does not unlock my Mac anymore (entering password manually works)

• other TouchID activities (App unlock, Apple Pay) do still work properly

SMC or NVRAM resets did not help
I finally logged a ticket with Apple Support.

Best regards
Tim
Hello everyone,
I have a MacBook Pro, 13", 2020.
Since the upgrade my TouchID button didn't unlock my Mac anymore (entering password manually works) and other TouchID activities (App unlock, Apple Pay) didn't work too. In fact, I couldn't even create a new fingerprint.
I also couldn't activate the location system, so the app "find my mac" didn't work, for example.

BUT THIS IS THE SOLUTION:
Please, see Gimmick1973's post!
Everything works now!
  1. shut down your Mac;

2. press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button;

3. wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

• This is the only answer that worked for me

Add a Comment
The below fixed my issue. At home I am using a charger of 60W with Magsafe and an adaptor to USB-C. Once it's plugged in the finger scanner it won't read at all the fingerprint. Once I unplugged the charger, it works perfectly. Noticed now that my battery is not even charging, it just stay at the same level.
According to Apple Support this is a know issue. Two options: reset firmware or wait for update. There are a few suggestion workaround but they are not consistent.
After a security update, I encountered the same problem that I was not given the option to use my Touch ID to log in on my Mac. I had to go to settings. The option to use Touch ID was set already. I had to un-check the option and then went out of settings. Later I went back and checked the option to use the Touch ID. Then I shut down my Mac, gave it 30 seconds and restarted my Mac. When I could log in again, the option to use Touch ID worked again. I have tried locking my screen several times, Touch ID still works. PS: I do not have OS Big Sur, but Mojave 10.14.6.
I was able to fix this issue by deleting all of the fingerprints stored on my computer and re-adding them.
I recently discovered that Touch ID is not working. It can’t unlock the Mac, use Apple Pay, or register a new fingerprint. The system message says about an error, or that I have exceeded the number of fingerprints.

What I have tried:
  • SMS and PRAM reset

• pressing the power button for 10 seconds

• removing fingerprints in safe mode using command line "tartutil -erase-all"

Nothing worked out.

It seems that waiting for update is the only option.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports, touchBar, T1 Chip)
Big Sur 11.3.1 (20E241)