Whitelist com.ibridge.control Entitlement

Hello,

I need to add the com.ibridge.control entitlement to a command-line utility for use by multiple people within my organization. This utility will not be distributed outside of the organization.

Originally the utility was failing to capture a USB interface for sending data to a downstream USB device. I checked dmesg and noticed that I was missing an entitlement:

Code Block text
$ sudo dmesg | tail -n 5
001185.217215 [utility-name]@: IOUSBUserClientLegacy::start: missing entitlement com.apple.ibridge.control
001185.217298 [utility-name]@: IOUSBUserClientLegacy::start: missing entitlement com.apple.ibridge.control
001185.217374 [utility-name]@: IOUSBUserClientLegacy::start: missing entitlement com.apple.ibridge.control
001185.217448 [utility-name]@: IOUSBUserClientLegacy::start: missing entitlement com.apple.ibridge.control

So I figured out how to codesign the utility with a .plist/.xml file describing the entitlement:

Code Block xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>com.apple.ibridge.control</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>
</pre>

But then the utility failed to run, and system logs had this:
Code Block text
AMFI: code signature validation failed.
AMFI: bailing out because of restricted entitlements.
mac_vnode_check_signature: [redacted, executable]: code signature validation failed fatally: When validating [redacted, executable]:
Code has restricted entitlements, but the validation of its code signature failed.
Unsatisfied Entitlements: proc 20444: load code signature error 4 for file "[redacted]"

(utility name redacted)

After some digging, it seems that I need to "whitelist" the entitlement in question, because it is a "restricted entitlement". I'm an admin on our developer account, but I can't seem to create a provisioning profile that presents me with the "Additional Entitlements" dialog, as described here.

I'm also not sure what to do when I have that provisioning profile.

I'm on a 2018 MacBook Pro running High Sierra.

Thanks,

Kevin

Accepted Reply

I need to add the com.ibridge.control entitlement to a command-line utility for use by multiple people within my organization.

You mean com.apple.ibridge.control, right?

If so, there’s no supported way for third-party code to get that entitlement.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

I need to add the com.ibridge.control entitlement to a command-line utility for use by multiple people within my organization.

You mean com.apple.ibridge.control, right?

If so, there’s no supported way for third-party code to get that entitlement.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
Yes, I did mean com.apple.ibridge.control :)

Thank you for the prompt response.