Big Sur developer update 4 locked my drive

In updating to beta 4, Big Sur seems to have locked the drive with FileVault. It is trying to retry the update, but says my drive is encrypted and to enter the password. Problem is, my admin user password doesn’t work and neither does my iCloud password. I’ve tried terminal tricks from the recovery partition for hours with no success. I 100% did not set a FileVault password at any time manually, and this isn’t a case of a forgotten password on my admin account - I’m sure of it. It’s the same one I’ve used on my Mac for years and I’ve entered it with success hundreds of times in Big Sur before this update bricked my install.

When I go to unlock my other partition, Catalina, it allows me to choose an associated user - my admin account. Big Sur drive does not even give me that option.
  • were you able to figure out? I also updated to Big Sur and am now locked out with filevault, this is absolutely terrible :(

Add a Comment

Replies

I’m having the same issue. My hard drive was encrypted previously. Now with Big Sur it won’t take the password.

Did you find a resolution?
same issue. I can't use my Mac. after the update I'm having boot problems.
same here
for me the problem was, that the keyboard layout was US even the icon on the top right showed something different.
When using US Keyboard Layout in mind while entering the password it worked.

but nevertheless beta 9 won't install on this mac pro (2019), while on the macbook air (2013) there is no problem at all.
Also on Macbook pro 2019 I need a wired internet connection, otherwise the updates failed before. (beta 9 seems to always fail)
Anyone have any solutions?? Same thing happened to me, I can’t even install Catalina anymore with the recovery mode. I really need an answer quick because I’m using my MacBook for work..
I have exactly the same problem, happened to me this morning with the Big Sur Beta 9 update. When the update launched, the Macbook rebooted and now I'm stuck with Filevault asking me the password to unlock my mac and it's not taking neither my iCloud or my admin password...

Weird thing is that the password "hint" is the one corresponding to my Macbook login password.

I 'm just stuck with a non functioning Macbook, *** Apple!!!

WE NEED HELP HERE!
Try to type in your password with the US keyboard layout. This did the trick for me.
If I check now my Vault settings, it says my disk is encrypted, but I am also pretty sure I have never activated this encryption.

Is this a errorneous display or is my disk now encrypted?
I have the same issue here!

I have tried to boot the mac with an external drive to check out my disk utility, and even there I am asked for the password that doesn't work! (the apple id, neither the mac password work).

Any solution for this? Why apple is pushing for updates in perfectly working machines, without the proper recommendations, clearly my Mac was not ready for being updated.

Experience the same issue while installing the release. Got a problem when installing, now, my disk is lock and none of my passwords are working. Someone got a solution?
Here is what worked for me:
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/667487?answerId=649458022#649458022
[SOLUTION]
I had exactly the same problem.
I had an encrypted partition on macOS with my data.
After upgrading from macOS Catalina to macOS BigSur (MBPro 16" 2019), I was unable to decrypt the partition with my password.

Here's what worked:
  1. RESET PRAM Turn the computer off and on with the Option, Command (⌘), P and R keys (I'm not sure if this step is 100% necessary).

2. Do a reebot with the cmd + r combination

3. Enter Disk Utilities

4. Select the drive to be recovered

5. Perform the procedure for the "I forgot my password" option (it will ask for access to the Wi-Fi network and to log in using the Apple ID)

6. After logging in, select "Disk Utility" and then select the encrypted partition and mount it using the password that previously worked, and after installation BigSur stopped working.

7. If the disk unlocks, you should temporarily change the password to one that does not contain special characters [eg: !@#$%^&*() ]

8. Unmount the disk again and mount it with a new password, checking if it works.

9. Quit disk utilities and start the operating system normally.

10. After starting, enter a new password that does not contain special characters. The disk (partition) should mount without any problems.

The error is evidently due to a different type of keyboard and can be avoided at a low level. However, I do not know yet how to fix it without going into disk utilities by rebooting with cmd + r combination. If someone does not use special characters in the password, most likely the problem will not occur or will not be noticeable.

Hope this helps you.

[ROZWIĄZANIE]
Miałem dokładnie taki sam problem.
Miałem szyfrowaną partycję na MacOS z danymi.
Po aktualizacji systemu z MacOS Catalina do MacOS BigSur (MBPro 16" 2019), nie byłem w stanie odszyfrować partycji swoim hasłem.

Poniżej to co zadziałało:
  1. RESET PRAM Wyłączyć komputer i włączyć z kombinacją klawiszy Option, Command (⌘), P oraz R (nie jestem pewien czy ten krok jest w 100% konieczny).

2. Wykonać reebot z kombinacją cmd+r

3. Wejść do narzędzi dyskowych

4. Wybrać dyskm, który ma być odzyskany

5. Wykonać procedurę jaka jest dla opcji "nie pamiętam hasła" (poprosi o dostęp do sieci Wi-Fi i o zalogowanie z użyciem Apple ID)

6. Po zalogowaniu wybrać "Disk Utility" i następnie wybrać zaszyfrowaną partycję i zamontować z użyciem hasła, które wcześniej działało, a po instalacji BigSur przestało działać.

7. Jeżeli dysk się odblokuje, to należy zmienić tymczasowo hasło, na takie, które nie zawiera znaków specjalnych [ np takich: !@#$%^&*() ]

8. Odmontować ponownie dysk i zamontować z nowym hasłem, sprawdzając czy na pewno działa.

9. Zamknąć narzędzia dyskowe i uruchomić normalnie system operacyjny.

10. Po uruchomieniu wprowadzić nowe hasło, które nie zawiera znaków specjalnych. Dysk (partycja) powinna się zamontować bez problemu.

Błąd ewidentnie wynika z innego typu klawiatury i da się go ominąć na niskim poziomie. Jednak póki co nie wiem jeszcze jak można to naprawić bez wchodzenia w narzędzia dyskowe za pomocą rebootowania z k0mbinacją cmd+r. Jeżeli ktoś w haśle nie używa znaków specjalnych, najprawdopodobniej problem nie wystąpi lub nie będzie możliwy do zauważenia.

Mam nadzieję, że to Wam pomoże.
I have the exact same problem. I have tried Kirill_L's solution but it didn't work for me.

I found this on reddit the day it was posted (thank god). I followed it and it worked!

blog.kylekukshtel.com/big-sur-update-failing-diskutil-apfs-filevault-sync-users

I had this same problem (Feb 2021) and this is what worked to solve it:

I had a macbook and two external drives one was old (1) and one was the current drive (2) with all my back-ups. When I updated to Big Sur it screwed up permissions and then later it demanded a password for drive 2 which had never needed one before. I erased the computer and reinstalled an older version of the OS and my user account/icloud from drive 1 with drive 2 connected and at the end of the process it asked me if I wanted to inherit drive 2 (as I said it had been plugged into the computer during this time). I clicked Yes and this apparently resets the password link between the drive and my user account and I gained access to drive 2 again. I then re-installed the later OS from drive 2 once it was linked. Before this I had to get Apple to install an OS on the Mac because it wouldn't accept to do so from drive 1 but I don't know if that's connected. I also had to know the old password to login to the old user account of the (3 years old) OS, fortunately I knew what it was. I'll hold off any updates to Big Sur for a couple of years I think...
I was stuck with the same problem. Here is what worked for me:
1) Start stuck Mac in Transfer-Mode (hold T on startup)
2) Connect via Thunderbolt-Cable to operational 2nd Mac (in my case Big Sur)
3) Enter Disk Utility on 2nd Mac
4) The following external drives should be shown Macintosh HD (mounted) and Macintosh HD - Data (greyed out)
5) Delete "Macintosh HD" (not Macintosh HD - Data) - this will create a new, blank Macintosh HD
6) Now you can mount Macintosh HD - Data and access the user folders for migration, backup, storage etc.
  • for me, when I tried this (I'm trying literally everything) I don't get two Macintosh listings, I only get 1. It's listed as "Macintosh HD" - no data version..... :(

Add a Comment