URL Bookmark Data no longer resolves after iOS13 -> 14 update.

After updating to iOS14, I notice that security scope bookmarks that I persisted on iOS13 no longer resolve.

These bookmarks were pointing to directories in my iCloud Drive. These directories still exist after updating.

An example URL on iOS 14 is:
file:///private/var/mobile/Library/Mobile%20Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Pictures/Archive/Digital/

I create bookmarks via:
try bookmarkData(options: [], includingResourceValuesForKeys: nil, relativeTo: nil)

I resolve these bookmarks via:
try URL(resolvingBookmarkData: data, options: [], relativeTo: nil, bookmarkDataIsStale: &bookmarkDataIsStale)

Is there a specific technique required to create and resolve bookmarks after an OS upgrade?

Accepted Reply

Oof. Putting this here for the community:

Thank you for filing this feedback report. We reviewed your report and determined the behavior you experienced is currently functioning as intended.

Existing bookmark are force-expired at the update to iOS 14. There’s nothing the user/developer can do about it, except for checking that the bookmark resolves before presenting it to the user as accessible.

You can close this feedback by clicking on the "Close Feedback" link. Thank you.

Replies

I presume these bookmarks did survive the iOS 12 to 13 transition?

Regardless, I encourage you to file a bug about this. Updating the OS should not break your bookmarks.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
Thanks Eskimo. Unfortunately this app is new enough that it does not have an iOS12 version. Updates between iOS13 versions have been okay though.

FB8481000
Oof. Putting this here for the community:

Thank you for filing this feedback report. We reviewed your report and determined the behavior you experienced is currently functioning as intended.

Existing bookmark are force-expired at the update to iOS 14. There’s nothing the user/developer can do about it, except for checking that the bookmark resolves before presenting it to the user as accessible.

You can close this feedback by clicking on the "Close Feedback" link. Thank you.