Notarized app gets this message: rejected (the code is valid but does not seem to be an app)

I've successfully notarized my app. Apple sends me an email saying so.

But a minute later, I try running the app but it has a white circle/slash over the icon. It will not run.

So I check the notarization with:

$ spctl --assess --verbose ChessOpeningsWizardProfessionalBuild120.app

ChessOpeningsWizardProfessionalBuild120.app: rejected (the code is valid but does not seem to be an app)

Other apps are working. That is, they get notarized and keep functioning as apps.

What is behind this "rejected (the code is valid but does not seem to be an app)" message?

Replies

Given that the operating system is also telling you that it is not an app, I'm guessing that it is not an app.
Given that the bundle contains everything an app should - and that it came directly from the .zip that was notarized by Apple - I'm rather thinking that it should be an app. :)

that it came directly from the .zip that was notarized by Apple

The notary service does not check the structure of your app, it just checks how it’s signed. The white circle in the Finder does not indicate a code signing problem, but rather a problem with its overall structure. It’s likely that it’s missing its Info.plist, or some key item in its Info.plist, or there’s something else broken in its directory structure.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
@eskimo Thanks. I'm comparing apps that work to this particular app that does not. The only change I can see is that the non-working app has two separate .icns files being deployed. I'm not sure why the second one is being deployed.

Could two .icns files be enough to have the MacOS think that it's not really an app? I can't remove one of them from the bundle as that would break the codesigning, yes?

Could two .icns files be enough to have the MacOS think that it's
not really an app?

That’s unlikely. The most likely option is a property lurking in your Info.plist.

If you can’t figure it out, open up a DTS tech support incident and I’ll wade in in that context.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
@eskimo You were correct. The value of "Executable file" in the info.plist was bogus.

Thank you for posting the link to DTS. For the life of me I could not find a way to get tech support beyond the forum (on my own.)