Trackpad click not working

I installed Big Sur a few days ago, today i woke up to see my trackpad click is not working. The other functions of trackpad are working normal like the gestures etc but cant click, left and right click also not working. Tried using an external usb mouse but only the right click works not the left (main) click. Any suggestions or inputs as to why this is happening? Any way to resolve this?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Dharmit07 Down vote post of Dharmit07
106k views
  • Did you solve the problem?

• I just solved this by going into system preferences (trackpad) and checking the box to allow tapping to click. Can't drag any windows with my bluetooth trackpad but can now click. Hope this helps!

• I’m sorry, but how did you check a box when the trackpad and mouse won’t let you click? How did you even get into system preferences without that ability?? So frustrating!

Replies

Have you checked all the mouse and tracks settings ?

Did you try reboot the Mac ?
I have the same issue with official "Big Sur" on a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014).
All positions: cursor, pointer and clicks are misconfigured. It is impossible to use my mac.
I have the same issue MacBook Pro late 2016 Edition. Installed the official update.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of G89 Down vote reply of G89
I have the same problem since updating to Big Sur. It only happens when I close the lid without shutting down the Mac. When I open up the lid again, everything works fine except the trackpad. Moving the courser is possible, but clicking doesn't work at all. The way to fix it is to manually shut down the computer by pressing and holding down the power button. It is a really annoying problem!!!
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of C_E Down vote reply of C_E
I have had the same issues. The trackpad works but it seems it cannot be pressed. Is anyone in Apple listening?
Had a similar problem , even more weird, cause the click did not work on some parts of the screen, but worked on other. Fixed it by uninstall an Logitech Mouse driver package and a 3Dconnexion driver package. Maybe this helps.
Same issue on my side with the trackpad "clicking" not working properly after updating to Big Sur on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017). All Trackpad settings are accurate. Every so often the trackpad "click" will start to work perfectly, and then will instantly stop for no reason, and will stay that way for quite some time. Hopefully this software bug gets corrected immediately.
Same here on an iMac Pro. Trackpad works for everything but the main click. It is happening daily now and only thing I can do is reboot to fix the issue. Apple please help.
Same problem here, Macbook pro 16 inch. Updated to Big Sur a couple of weeks back and now, sometimes when I wake my Macbook from sleep, the primary click isnt doing anything. Not from the trackpad neither from an external mouse, either connected via usb or via bluetooth. Seems like something that should be fixed on the double.
Same problem. MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020), click right and left of trackpad doesn't work and block all. I noted it's happen when I exit from the stop....Please fix this
Same issue on my side, I've installed Big Sur last week on a MacBook Air (13-inch, 2015) and since yesterday the trackpad "click" does not work anymore. To login to my MacBook Air, I need an external mouse.
Same thing happened to me. My trackpad didnt work I had to use a mouse but I got it working. The problem is I sometimes use a software that autoclicks each certain time so my mac doesnt turn off, that software doesnt work on Big Sur.
I do also have a problem with the trackpad after installing Big Sur. For the most time my trackpad (Macbook Pro 13" 2020) works fine, but clicking stops working in the open file modal. It's very frustrating.
I called in this issue with the Apple helpdesk. She had me log in to safe mode, then reboot. Since then the issue hasn't reocurred. So try this!
Same issue, started today. Reboot fixes it but only for 20 minutes! Please help.
  • This hasn’t been resolved. Wondering if it has something to do with handoff feature on iPad?

• Have the same issue and happens on both bluetooth and the built in trackpad. Also reboot fixes temporarily. All updates have been made

Add a Comment