Trackpad click not working

I installed Big Sur a few days ago, today i woke up to see my trackpad click is not working. The other functions of trackpad are working normal like the gestures etc but cant click, left and right click also not working. Tried using an external usb mouse but only the right click works not the left (main) click. Any suggestions or inputs as to why this is happening? Any way to resolve this?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Dharmit07 Down vote post of Dharmit07
107k views
  • Did you solve the problem?

• I just solved this by going into system preferences (trackpad) and checking the box to allow tapping to click. Can't drag any windows with my bluetooth trackpad but can now click. Hope this helps!

• I’m sorry, but how did you check a box when the trackpad and mouse won’t let you click? How did you even get into system preferences without that ability?? So frustrating!

Replies

Same problem here, MBP 15 2019 with Big Sur Version 11.1
Annoying and troublesome.
Same here. Since today. Big Sur is not stable at all. And really annoying issue
I was having the same issue after installing Big Sur. I solved it by doing the following:

Change Double Click speed to normal speed. Follow this step, Apple logo from top Mac Menu > System Preferences > Accessibility> Mouse & Trackpad > Now Change Double Click speed to normal on the slider.

Auto Disable or ignore Built-In Trackpad or Mouse when connecting to External or Third-Party Accessories. The last checkbox option is for Auto disable while using an external Trackpad or mouse. Uncheck “Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present“.
  • Mmmm my settings were this and I had the issue.

Add a Comment
Still having this issue? I've had (I think) the same problem since Big Sur, too. Left-click, only, quits working. I can right-click and move the pointer. Just can't click. Happens once to twice every day or two. I have to use the keyboard to reboot to correct it. I've reset PRAM and SMC and booted into and back out of Safe mode. No difference. So, this is what I've done and am doing next, partly due to conversation with Apple. First, I noticed via Activity Monitor that a couple apps weren't behaving well under Big Sur. Tenor GIF keyboard was using 10% CPU while doing nothing. Webex Teams was not allowing my Mac to sleep. Stopped both of those from loading automatically. If it happens again, I'm going to stay in Safe mode for an extended period to see if it happens. Recommend keeping an eye on Activity Monitor to see if anything seems unusual. I'll report back with results.
Same problem here.

Macbook Pro 13 - 2020 - 4 thunderbolt
I have the same problem with the Magic Trackpad 2 since installing Big Sur. It still works but will not click. I've tried the usual fixes - safe mode, PRAM reset etc, but no joy.
same problem here...!
MabookAir 13 - 2020
Same problem here. Smh 🤦🏻
Reliable workaround, but no fix: As soon as you CONNECT A SECOND SCREEN via Thunderbolt, the trackpad click issue magically disappears.
This is really atrocious. I didn't pay $5000 for a MacBook for the trackpad to stop clicking when a new OS version is released.

It's not constant, but regularly seems like the last click didn't end and subsequent clicks are interrupted as a result. You have to mess around with it and click several times to unstick it.

Really messes up my workflow.
Add a Comment
I have the same problem with the Trackpad on two MacBook pros installing Big Sur. It still works but will not click. I've tried the usual fixes - safe mode and a PRAM reset and no there are no appointment for genius. Both mac's are down for the count. Grrrr
Good to see that others also have the issue. That means that my magic trackpad 2 is not broken :)

But I have the issue ony with my external magic trackpad. The draging and click stop working over night.
I always enable the soft click on tap and this is working but that does not help with the draging of a window.

My embeded Trackpad of the MBP 16 still works fine. So the issue is maybe not just the kind of settings you have. Because for me it only happens with the external trackpad that worked yesterday and I have installed no Update since then.
Reboot did not change something.

I also use Big Sur (11.1 (20C69))

Maybe someone from Apple can use this information, but guess they already know that.
I have this problem too. Really wished I had not downladed Big SUr. Awful experience since.

Same exact issue on 2016 MBP...

Support had me:
  1. make new admin user (couldn't replicate issue there)

2. reset SMC (didn't fix)

3. format HD & reinstall OS (still didn't fix)

This is EXTREMELY ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
same thing here macbook pro 13 new from 2020, installed bigsur and 1-2 times a week it stopped working left click on touchpad (didnt try mouse) right click works and gesture, is just the left one.