Trackpad click not working

I installed Big Sur a few days ago, today i woke up to see my trackpad click is not working. The other functions of trackpad are working normal like the gestures etc but cant click, left and right click also not working. Tried using an external usb mouse but only the right click works not the left (main) click. Any suggestions or inputs as to why this is happening? Any way to resolve this?
Have the same problem, as rebooted nothing changed! when Mac OS updated keyboard fixed but trackpad constantly stops clicking and it's like hanging but touch works. Is the issue related to hardware or soft? how should I repair it. Thank you
I too am facing this issue.

In my case, I fully rebuilt my iMac a couple of weeks ago - to overcome the growing performance issues I have seen since the Big Sur releases. I'm on the latest of everything. So, I guess that means I get all the new and untested functionality Apple has to offer.

I'm in the same situation. My MacBook Pro 2020 also has this trackpad bug. I think that it is a software bug because it just appeared suddenly and the computer doesn't have any physical damage. When I let it turned off for some time it backs to normal but when I don't use computer for some time it happens again.

I am facing this issue after updating my Mac Book Pro recently. A hack that works for me is to connect a mouse, move the mouse when it gets struck and then it starts working again.

It worked two times since I accidently found this hack. Hope it would help someone.

Same issue, the trackpad "clicking" not working (I can move it, but not click), MacBook Air, 2017.

I am having same issue on macos BigSur 11.4 on my macbook pro 16, 2019. Suddenly left click doesn't work anymore and I have to reboot in order to come back to normal. But it happens very often and it is frustrating, I am unable to find any fixes on the internet also.

Thought I've got water damage or something but luckily I'm not the only one. I've got Big Sur running for a while now, but since the last update (currently running 11.4) the trackpad and keyboard freezes after sleep sometimes. A reboot after holding the power button solves te problem for a few hours. Got a 13" MBP early 2015 model and never experienced issues before.

Good to read apple takes this problem seriously :)...

Hi. For me it worked with the following steps:

1. Uninstall logitech app (still didn't work after this, but I've seen a comment about this)
  2. Closing the logitech mouse that was conected trough bluetooth (it didn't work with the mouse connected trough bluetooth, but it worked after i've closed/disconnected it)

Good luck!

This happened to me just now. I have only had my laptop (Macbook Air M1 16gb ram 512 gb) for 3 days now. And when I opened my laptop earlier, the trackpad click did not work on most parts of the screen, but the gestures worked just fine. Had to reboot my laptop and now its working again. I hope this doesnt happen again

I just had the same issue start today on my MacBook Pro M1, 16GB RAM, 512 GB. Worked fine for the last few months and it has been nothing but rebooting. Followed some of the online suggestions from the various Mac websites/magazines, but to no avail. Works for about 20 minutes to 2 hours after rebooting and then the trackpad and gestures still work and the click doesn’t. Have readjusted the software, etc. to try and correct but no go. I have the BT Apple trackpad and it has same issue. No Logitech software installed.

After I saw that many people uninstalled their mouse drivers, I've also checked my M1 Macbook for any installed ones and I actually found the Logitech Unifying Software that I've installed months ago. These three steps brought the trackpad click on my laptop back:

1. Remove/Uninstall all third party Wireless Input Device Software like "Logitech Unifying Software"
  2. Go to ~/Library/Preferences (the ~ is important) and remove all plist Files with "trackpad" and "mouse" as part of the filename (e.g. com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist). There should be 5-6 files. Better use the search function.
  3. Reboot (the files will be created again)

After doing this my trackpad was working again. Some functions like "tap to click" that are checked in settings might not work immediately because the state is probably saved in a different plist. So just uncheck and check again to make it function again.

Did you solve the problem?

my majik mouse was connecting to my computer from my bag and disabling double click. turning it off solved the problem.

Last night trackpad failed for me; pointer was moving but no haptic feedback on click. I upgraded to Big Sur 11.5 and problem solved. Yay!

i'm with the same problem, sometimes when I reboot it work before making the login, but after the login the haptic feedback stops working.

Did someone knows any other way to fix this? Or I need to Take it to repair?

Probably is a software problem, because sometimes works.

Did anyone get an answer for this track pad issue?

I also have this issue. But didn't associate it with software upgrade. (2017 macbook 13 inch)

I'm going to try these solutions and see if they work - https://appletoolbox.com/why-cant-my-macbook-pro-trackpad-click/

Same issue with MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2018. Called Apple Store and ask to bring back my MacBook. I am still waiting for a new release.

Same thing on my A2338. Can’t believe something as basic as clicking could not be working on my $2500 laptop. I think I’m done with Apple after this.

I just solved this by going into system preferences (trackpad) and checking the box to allow tapping to click. Can't drag any windows with my bluetooth trackpad but can now click. Hope this helps!

Mine is MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) running macOS Monterey Version 12.0.1 I had the same issue, but fixing it by calling out Terminal and inputting "sudo pkill TouchBarServer" Hope this would help😉

I'm surprised of how many people have this problem. I went all the way as to replace the trackpad to find out it's not a hardware issue and now I'm here :)

I have an old Macbook pro retina 15" mid 2012, but was working fine up to now...

The weird thing is that all the gestures and right click work, but left click is not working even if an external mouse is used. What the hell Apple?!

Same problem with a 1 month old M1 Macbook Air after updating to Big Sur and restarting after a few weeks of putting the laptop to sleep by closing the lid. Luckily resetting the SMC (using T2 chip instructions) worked when nothing else did for me, let's hope it doesn't happen again. Really unimpressed by the lack of proper resolution of this issue by Apple developers.

Using MBP 2020 macOS 12.1 Beta 3 this problem still is not fixed. Its hard to do my job on this MBP, and there seems to be no work around...

Hola, tengo el mismo problema, tengo una MacBook Pro 2013 finales y funcionaba correctamente, actualmente he actualizado a la versión de Big sur y el mousepad no funciona, al presionar el botón derecho o izquierdo no hace nada, puedo moverme, incluso si conecto otro mouse el problema persiste, tengo que reiniciar el equipo y conectar el mouse usb para que funciona, ya probé reinstalar a macOS Catalina y el problema persiste, he corrido diagnostico y aparentemente todo funciona correctamente, a alguien más le ha pasado esto? tiene solución? ya he hecho downgrade y el problema persiste.

Trackpad click not working

Q