Trackpad click not working

I installed Big Sur a few days ago, today i woke up to see my trackpad click is not working. The other functions of trackpad are working normal like the gestures etc but cant click, left and right click also not working. Tried using an external usb mouse but only the right click works not the left (main) click. Any suggestions or inputs as to why this is happening? Any way to resolve this?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Dharmit07 Down vote post of Dharmit07
108k views
  • Did you solve the problem?

• I just solved this by going into system preferences (trackpad) and checking the box to allow tapping to click. Can't drag any windows with my bluetooth trackpad but can now click. Hope this helps!

• I’m sorry, but how did you check a box when the trackpad and mouse won’t let you click? How did you even get into system preferences without that ability?? So frustrating!

Replies

Same problem here... this has not been fixed. I tried the Accessibility settings fix, but that only work for a while. I have a 2018 MacBook Air that I use with an external Magic Trackpad, which seems to be the issue.
Same issue happened to me. fixed by a simply restart.
I upgraded recently to Big Sur. Same exact thing! Rebooting doesn’t help. My computer is literally useless! I can’t get any work done. Apple. Let’s goo!
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), installed Big Sur some weeks ago, same problem. Please somebody can fix this?
Roughly the same here:
Big Sur 11.1 on MBP, 16'', 2019

Left click either from trackpad or external mouse often does not reach the application. The former focused window LOSES THE FOCUS on the click.

Behaviour is often seen in safari and chrome, but also in other windows e.G on clicking the topleft red dot to close the window. Window does NOT close, just loses focus.

This is VEEEEEEEERYYYYY annoying!

One more thing: in safari, the effect seems to be object-specific: on the amazon-startpage, i can leftclick on any offered item, but i cannot leftclick on 'Prime Video' (Top Left). The Frame moves to 'Prime Video', when the mouse hovers over it, but on the click, the safari window loses focus. (Though shown marked in the window list...)
New MBP, 13in, M1, 2020 Big Sur 11.1. At various time cannot drag highlight (which is what I've always done with my Macs/PCs). If this isn't fixed before my return deadline, I'm leaning towards a return. I'll just continue on my 2012 MBP....

Also I notice Internet speed/connection drops from my Comcast router that the 2012 MBP doesn't experience along with slower processing of commands using Chrome. These are all everyday use deal breakers for me.

What other issues haven't I found?
Confirmed 29 Jan 2021! Mac M1: BigSur 11.1
Secondary Click with 2 fingers: Not Working
I thought I was the only one having these issues and thought it was something wrong with the new Macbook Air M1 chip. Within a week of getting this laptop with Big Sur, the trackpad stopped responding to touch, started jumping around sporadically, and clicking on things randomly. It has been a nightmare!
I chatted with Apple Support online, who made me an appointment with a Genius Bar, but the Genius Bar called me shortly after I dropped off my computer for diagnostics and told me there was nothing wrong with it and I should just call Apple Support if it happened again. When I called Apple Support, they said it was clear my computer needed repairs and to tell the Genious Bar I had already called Apple Support and they couldn't do anything over the phone.
So far, no luck and I'm still dealing with an all but useless trackpad...
Hoping for some kind of solution soon!
same issue here - very annoying and Mac is impossible to use - with out attaching an external mouse - which is a pain !
Can you please fix this Apple ?
I have the same problem with 2 or 3 fingers. It works 2-5 minutes after I restart my Macbook Air 2017. It stop working after latest Big Sur beta update.
Still have the same issue here. MacBook Pro (13 inch, 2018) Have tried all the suggestions listed in this thread, (except the external monitor connection using Thunderbolt). Upgraded to macOS Big Sur Version 11.2 and the trackpad still doesn't click/haptic feedback. Trackpad works fine, but no click feedback. Feels like you are pressing a solid surface... Any further suggestions?
Hello,
Same as here, i am using bigSur 11.2 and it is ridiculous that i cant click inside dialogs, like system settings or open file dialogs!!!!!!!! seriously apple
Regards
Same here. Magic Mouse 2 worked fine until I updated to Big Sur 11.2 this morning on my MBA 2017. I can click and scroll, but can't track with the Magic Mouse. The BT dropdown menu says it's connected, but in settings, showing 'no mouse detected'... Please fix!
I just installed the update Big Sur 11.2 on my MBP M1 chip and the cursor is not moving. Before the update everything was working perfectly. Please fix
Confirmed 7 Feb 2021! Mac M1: BigSur 11.3 (Latest update for Developers)
Secondary Click with 2 fingers: Not Working

Bluetooth Bug occurred after a while - cannot find Airpod Pro
Airdrop Bug not working after a while - cannot send items to iPhone
> must restart Mac to fix Bluetooth + Airdrop bugs