Trackpad click not working

I installed Big Sur a few days ago, today i woke up to see my trackpad click is not working. The other functions of trackpad are working normal like the gestures etc but cant click, left and right click also not working. Tried using an external usb mouse but only the right click works not the left (main) click. Any suggestions or inputs as to why this is happening? Any way to resolve this?
Not sure if it has to do with connecting to external monitors, but I noticed my 2019 16” MBP click and right click stopped working shortly after hooking it up to two external monitors.

SOLUTION: what worked for me was oddly enough to just turn on a 2.4GHz mouse I had connected to it and then click worked on both my mouse and my trackpad.

When I turned it off again, my trackpad also stopped working. Then I restarted my computer and turned off the external mouse and the trackpad worked normally again for now.
I’ve had the same issue with my MacBook Pro 2020. It’s annoying, I paid a lot of money for this to just be happening, the trackpad was working fine for me yesterday night. I woke up this morning, it didn’t want to click. I can move the cursor but can’t click on anything. It’s been 3 days, I’m annoyed at this point.
Confirmed 14 Feb 2021! Mac M1: BigSur 11.3 (Latest update for Developers)
Secondary Click with 2 fingers: Not Working

Trackpad sometimes stuck and became unresponsive for a few seconds!
Battery dropped from 100% -> 20% in ~ 6hrs when temperature is low ~ 7 - 14 when in sleep mode!
  • > my air-conditioner was not used at all, i'm a bit concerned as it's only a few weeks since I used it.

• > my other Macbook pro (2015) just shutdowns when it's cold like that, so I had to use adapter all the time.

Bluetooth Bug occurred after a while - cannot find Airpod Pro
Airdrop Bug not working after a while - cannot send items to iPhone
> must restart Mac to fix Bluetooth + Airdrop bugs
I suffered the same issue two or three times (MacBook Pro M1 with Big Sur 11.2.1). I can see the cursor on the screen but cannot move it. The good thing is that the trackpad still responded, blindly.
Hi everyone my MacBook 2014 was working fine until yesterday and today morning I installed the pending updates Big Sur 11.2.1 and found my trackpad completely not working and keyboard randomly struck . And found many users are having the same issue after update .
FYI right click 2 fingers, it works now for latest update 11.3 only if i press more firmly (M1) vs my Mac 2015!

Thanks Apple!
hi everyone today morning i got the trackpad and keyboard issue , i connected to apple support and after some discussion they suggested to reset smc which worked for me please do try if it works for you ,

Please follow the below :

please shut down your Mac. And using the built-in keyboard, press and hold Shift-Control-Option keys on the left side of the keyboard then press and hold the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds then release all the keys. You won’t see any response on your Mac while pressing these keys. After 10 seconds, release the keys and press on the power button again to turn on your Mac.
I'm seeing this as well on my mother's iMac with an external touchpad. I see this problem even when I'm attached to the computer remotely using RemotePC.

What fixes it for me is right clicking on an application in the Dock and then right clicking on Quit. That seems to reset the mouse somehow and the left click starts working again.

My mother has called me two days in a row so this problem seems systemic. I see that others have had success with external mice so I may try that.

Just had it happened again to my mother's computer. The right click did not work this time but option-clicking on on of the applications foregrounded it and cleared the issue. So some click+keyboard combination which switches applications either by foregrounding or quitting seems to clear the issue.

Same issue with my mid 2015 MacBook Pro.

This seems to have fixed the issue for me.
Open the computer in safe mode. Then reboot computer again.

Thanks to RogerPaolo who posted this fix here a while ago.
So I started to experience this issue today, and went down the list..... I started to get worried as I have school work I needed to complete.

Dont think I saw any comments to try this and it has worked for me so far.

NVRAM (nonvolatile random-access memory) is a small amount of memory that your Mac uses to store certain settings and access them quickly. PRAM (Parameter RAM) stores similar information, and the steps for resetting NVRAM and PRAM are the same.
Settings that can be stored in NVRAM include sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, time zone, and recent kernel panic information. The settings stored in NVRAM depend on your Mac and the devices that you're using with your Mac.

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart.
On Mac computers that play a startup sound, you can release the keys after the second startup sound.
On Mac computers that have the Apple T2 Security Chip, you can release the keys after the Apple logo appears and disappears for the second time. 

Hi! I’ve also experienced the same situation that you had with your cursor not clicking and basically malfunctioning. It happened twice and the second time, resetting the PRAM, SMC and even safe boot (safe mode) eventually did not work for me. I really thought my trackpad or my laptop was gone (Macbook Pro mid 2014). Even when I used external usb mouse, the cursor was still not clicking. It can move but it also randomly moved on its own, you can do gestures and right click but that’s it.

So whenever I try to reset the PRAM, SMC, and login in safe boot, I have 5-15 minutes normal cursor time. I then manage to follow the advice of someone who commented here that states turning on the “ignore trackpad when external / Bluetooth mouse is used” will also help. So tried using my external usb mouse and this actually worked for me, I used my laptop for 7 hours without the cursor malfunctioning. But of course I can’t use any gestures since the trackpad was still not working which was annoying.

Now, apple released an update Big Sur 11.2.2 I think what its called. It had bug fixes for external ports not working something like that. After updating my laptop (Macbook Pro mid 2014), I turned off the “ignore trackpad when external / Bluetooth mouse is used” and my trackpad works normally now? I’ve used my laptop for about 3 hours without any cursor seizures. NOTE: My external usb mouse was also plugged in but I also tried using it with the trackpad alone and it was still going smoothly. So I think the update fixed the bug. I’ll update you guys when I fully use my laptop for like 10 hours and see what happens if it the update really fixed the bug. Hope this helps! : D

I have the same problem of left click not working all of a sudden at times with Big Sur. Is there a fix yet?
I am facing the same issue ever since I updated my my Mac to Big Sur 11.1
I've also had this problem since installing Big Sur, it's very annoying. Often it's buttons in the control panel that's not working or in the open file modal. Please fix this soon!
Same problem here for 2015 mac book pro :(
Hi all!

I had a similar issue. Basically everything works except the trackpad left click (single or double click). Right click (tap with two fingers) works, scroll works etc.

Here was my cause: I had the magic mouse connected and there was something on top of it that basically made it in click pressed forever! That's why the trackpad left click did not work ahahah.

Hope this helps some of you.
same problem.... macbook pro 13 touch bar 2018
Having this same issue with my 16" MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.2.3. Laptop is only about a month old. The two-finger "right click" works, but not a single click. Able to move the mouse around just fine. Connected my Bluetooth Magic Mouse and it works. With Apple Support, directed to reset SMC twice and that temporarily fixed the issue but, after it keeps happening, they're just recommending to bring it in (or mail it in) for service. Hugely annoying! Sounds like it's an issue with Big Sur and really hoping they can get that fixed soon.
I am also having same issue. Help me please
When I use my Bluetooth mouse left-click is not working but when I replace it with wired mouse, left click now is working smoothly.
  • Big Sur 11.2.3

Same, 2020 i9 MacBook Pro, fully speced and trackpad click stops working, can’t click anything, have to hold down power button to reboot....I notice apple as usual don’t care as they have the money now...
Same here.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
BigSur 11.2.3
I have the same problem after Big Sur updating. Tried to reset SMC but it didn't work!
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
Big Sur 11.2.3
The last OS really fantastic was Snow Leopard...now it sucks like Windows.
No support from Apple.
No updates.
Just money.....
In my case, I solved this problem by connecting a wired mouse. Once you succeed, the trackpad and BT mouse work properly. Logitech Mouse using Unifying USB Receiver would be possible I think.
Trackpad click not working

Q