Trackpad click not working

I installed Big Sur a few days ago, today i woke up to see my trackpad click is not working. The other functions of trackpad are working normal like the gestures etc but cant click, left and right click also not working. Tried using an external usb mouse but only the right click works not the left (main) click. Any suggestions or inputs as to why this is happening? Any way to resolve this?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Dharmit07 Down vote post of Dharmit07
108k views
  • Did you solve the problem?

• I just solved this by going into system preferences (trackpad) and checking the box to allow tapping to click. Can't drag any windows with my bluetooth trackpad but can now click. Hope this helps!

• I’m sorry, but how did you check a box when the trackpad and mouse won’t let you click? How did you even get into system preferences without that ability?? So frustrating!

Replies

I also have this issue. But didn't associate it with software upgrade. (2017 macbook 13 inch)

I'm going to try these solutions and see if they work - https://appletoolbox.com/why-cant-my-macbook-pro-trackpad-click/

Same issue with MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2018. Called Apple Store and ask to bring back my MacBook. I am still waiting for a new release.

Same thing on my A2338. Can’t believe something as basic as clicking could not be working on my $2500 laptop. I think I’m done with Apple after this.

Mine is MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) running macOS Monterey Version 12.0.1 I had the same issue, but fixing it by calling out Terminal and inputting "sudo pkill TouchBarServer" Hope this would help😉

I'm surprised of how many people have this problem. I went all the way as to replace the trackpad to find out it's not a hardware issue and now I'm here :)

I have an old Macbook pro retina 15" mid 2012, but was working fine up to now...

The weird thing is that all the gestures and right click work, but left click is not working even if an external mouse is used. What the hell Apple?!

• After further troubleshooting I've found that loosening the ***** which is responsible for the clicking effect solved the problem. The touchpad needed more space to move. How this could have happened by itself initially, don't ask, magic!

So the solution which worked for me:

open up the mac bookremove the batteryloosen the big ***** which is pushing the touchpad against the shell a little bit, so the clicking effect is there fully.

Hope this helps someone. You will need a whole bunch of specialized screwdrivers for this. I needed 4 different ones.

• This sounds like a bloated Li-Po battery pack pressing against a Non-Force Touch Trackpad (the old trackpad with click dome, prior to Tactile Engines introduced in 2015 to MacBooks). Bloated battery packs should also be replaced.

Add a Comment

Same problem with a 1 month old M1 Macbook Air after updating to Big Sur and restarting after a few weeks of putting the laptop to sleep by closing the lid. Luckily resetting the SMC (using T2 chip instructions) worked when nothing else did for me, let's hope it doesn't happen again. Really unimpressed by the lack of proper resolution of this issue by Apple developers.

Using MBP 2020 macOS 12.1 Beta 3 this problem still is not fixed. Its hard to do my job on this MBP, and there seems to be no work around...

Hola, tengo el mismo problema, tengo una MacBook Pro 2013 finales y funcionaba correctamente, actualmente he actualizado a la versión de Big sur y el mousepad no funciona, al presionar el botón derecho o izquierdo no hace nada, puedo moverme, incluso si conecto otro mouse el problema persiste, tengo que reiniciar el equipo y conectar el mouse usb para que funciona, ya probé reinstalar a macOS Catalina y el problema persiste, he corrido diagnostico y aparentemente todo funciona correctamente, a alguien más le ha pasado esto? tiene solución? ya he hecho downgrade y el problema persiste.

I had the same problem in Bug Sur and I have it still in Monterey. It's really annoying !!! Is there any effective solution for this?

Hey, I've had the same issue as you guys. My trackpad stopped working overnight without doing any update or installing new software. I looked on forums to try to find a solution. Restarting the Mac didn't work even temporarily, neither did to put the Mac on sleep mode for 2 minutes after a restart.

My problem is now fixed. I updated my MacBook Pro (Retina Early 2015) to BigSur 11.6.1 (was on 11.3 or 11.6 I think), and everything went back to normal. I can't tell you if it's the new version that fixed it, or just something that the Mac did by itself when it was updating, but I'm happy it's back! Just to let you know, I didn't try any of the NVRAM/PRAM or SMC reset, nor Safe Mode or manual power off.

I just went to an ifixit store. They opened the back of the laptop. They disconnected the wires from the key/touchpad and plugged it in again. now my everything is working fine again! oh and their service was for free. So it’s worth a try.

My macbook pro trackpad failed to click, but the fact it clicked during logging in suggested it was not hardware. After lots of efforts including reinstalling OS , whiched fixed it for a couple of days, i read the input here and guessed it was an error with thesettings thar coul be repaired by changing ot. But how to do that without cliicking? My bt mouse also failed. It turned out my old bt trackpad did not, and voila, everything is fine again after changing the settings.

Same thing happened to my 2019 MBP (Monterey). As someone else suggested, I unclicked the 'Tap to click' option in trackpad settings but that made it worse. So I force shut it down, restarted and it's ok now.

Appointment at Genius bar cancelled.

I recently updated my MacBook Pro late 2013 to the latest macOS Big Sur 11.6.5, and for some ***** reason my trackpad has stopped working properly. It's clicking everything it can while moving erratically across the screen and ignoring my inputs. I've tried almost everything from PVRAM to checking for bulginess (in case the battery is bloated and affecting the trackpad, in which case is not). I don't know what to do.

I'm experiencing the same issue - my trackpad suddenly no longer clicked. Implications: unable to drag and drop, highlight text, click. Caveat: I did not download Big Sur or make any other changes. I took the advice above and rebooted my computer and it is now working. I hope this doesn't happen again. I would value an Apple-initiated response.