Trackpad click not working

I installed Big Sur a few days ago, today i woke up to see my trackpad click is not working. The other functions of trackpad are working normal like the gestures etc but cant click, left and right click also not working. Tried using an external usb mouse but only the right click works not the left (main) click. Any suggestions or inputs as to why this is happening? Any way to resolve this?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Dharmit07 Down vote post of Dharmit07
107k views
  • Did you solve the problem?

• I just solved this by going into system preferences (trackpad) and checking the box to allow tapping to click. Can't drag any windows with my bluetooth trackpad but can now click. Hope this helps!

• I’m sorry, but how did you check a box when the trackpad and mouse won’t let you click? How did you even get into system preferences without that ability?? So frustrating!

Replies

I had this problem with a brand new Macbook Pro. I realized that my bluetooth mouse was powered on in my laptop bag. I took the mouse out, turned it off, and tried the trackpad again. Clicking worked again. Not sure if this is the case for everyone, but something simple to try.

• Thanks for this hint! I had exactly the same issue and it was at the end my bluetooth mouse in the bag wich was continually clicked.

• You sir have saved my day! Was about to reinstall my macOS until I read this thread and found your post. I literally took out my Bluetooth magic mouse, saw it was powered, turned it off and everything was OK again. Lesson learned: macOS is a pain to navigate via keyboard/tab/focus navigation, it just does not work, this Apple can improve a lot on.

• Wow. I’m feeling relief!

My trackpad would move the pointer around but it wouldn’t click. I tried to reboot and plugged in an external mouse, no fix. Then I tried this, power down, hold control, option, shift, and the power button. Hold until startup screen appears. This fixed it.

• This fixed it for me too. I guess it makes sense that the SMC needed a reset.

• This makes my issue fixed. Before which I have tried shutdown, system preferences however its resolved after I followed @Jcom3030 solution. Thanks Buddy

Add a Comment

This problem hasn’t been resolved yet. I’m on macOS Monterey, my MacBook is Retina 2020 air. After I close my MacBook lid without power off, once I reopen it, the click function is not working. But everything else seems fine

This may not be the same problem, but I just purchased a MacBookPro running Ventura. When I click the trackpad with my left thumb it acts like a ctrl-click, which is very annoying. Clicking more toward the right side of the trackpad seems to work, but is an awkward movement for me. I'm sure this is somehow related to Apple trying to make the trackpad "smarter" but as a wise man once said "when computers try to be smart for you, they need to be right 100% of the time or they're just annoying."

SMC reset helped me on my Mac book Air model A2337.

Turn off your Mac. Press and hold shift+control+options+power button for 10 seconds.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of SJLA Down vote reply of SJLA

I just get the same problem yesterday and after 2 MacBook reboots I realised that my connected to laptop Apple Mouse was covered by some staff on m y desk and the staff weight pressed the mouse button which may produce the problem. Actually I have similar problem a years ago with my Windows laptop when I forget to turn off my mouse and put it in the backpack, and when I put backpack on the bench some of the staff inside pressed continuously some of mouse button. So check for some connected device that can be forgotten turn on and pressed by something.

I thing the apple needs to check with all clientes after upgrade to Big Sur, have same problem “the trackpad not working the click”, @apple please I Had four macbook and this is the first when i have a problem and apple no fix.

thank you!

Same issue. New, fully maxed out 16" MacBook Pro M2. Updated to latest OS iteration. Just started happening And it driving me crazy! there is NO workaround that I can find. Apple please help!

i'm also having this issue--specifically when using chrome, click/tap input from trackpad stops working

Just in case someone has a similar problem: Maybe you (just like stupid ol' me) forgot about a Bluetooth mouse close by that's unknowingly stuck in pressed position. Whenever I would open the lid or wait for a certain amount of time, I recon it reconnected with it and caused the normal Trackpad click not to work. So stupid, but a simple fix

The trackpad does not physically click.