Big Sur Print Goes Blank (Bug Detected)

Hello, i just updated my macbook pro retina late 2013 to from macOS Catalina to Big Sur Beta 11.0, and i found out a bug. When i printed files from microsoft excel, word or maybe another pdf files the result went blank, no letters or ink are showing up except for borders

Is there any way how to fix this?

Thank you!

Replies

I'm having the same issue as you... I have a 2018 Air I'm on Beta build 20A5364e

I'm having issues on most laser printers since most of them don't have drivers for Big Sur yet... not sure if anyone else has this issue?
  • (2021-10-11) go to Printers homepage , look up your printer, download newest driver (suitable for your version of OS) to your Mac. :) I just finally solved this problem on my Mac (bigSur). It prints text again.

Add a Comment
I have a MacBook Pro Retina 13" late 2013 I'm on Beta build 20A5384c. I'm having the same issue as you. I just updated from macOS Catalina to Big Sur Beta 11.0. When i printed files from Microsoft excel, word or maybe another pdf files the result went blank, no letters or ink are showing up except for borders.

Is there any way how to fix this?
  • (2021-10-11) go to Printers manufacturer page, look up your printer, download newest driver (suitable for your version of OS) to your Mac. :) I just finally solved this problem on my Mac (bigSur). It prints text again.

Add a Comment
Even in the 11.0.1 release, I'm having this same issue. I've narrowed things down a bit to some specific behaviors:

1. AirPrint driver seems to print OK, as long as I'm only using 8.5 x 11 (letter) paper. I cannot print on any custom sizes, or things like envelopes.

2. Using the native printer driver and connecting either via Bonjour or direct by IP, no text prints, only graphical elements. Custom page sizes, and envelopes can be printed, as long as I don't want to print text.

I've reset the printing system multiple times, made sure I have the most current print drivers, and nothing seems to work.

Just installed Big Sur on my Mac mini 2018.

Tried to print to a Canon Image Class MF 4150 and then to a Brother HL-L2360D printers to no avail.

Had to RESET the Mac printing system to solve a problem.

As directed in Apple Support: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mh14001/mac

If you can’t print to your printer and you’ve tried all other solutions, reset the printing system. This process deletes all printers from your list of printers, deletes information about all completed print jobs, and deletes all printer presets.
Important: First, try other troubleshooting techniques in Solve printing problems on Mac.
  1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.

2. Press and hold the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.

3. After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.

4. Re-add any printers.

OR GOOGLE

"iMore re how to reset printing system Mac" which includes screen shots

I have the exact same problem but resolved the issue. I have Canon imageClASS MF276cdw printer.
I did the following.
On my Mac, choosed Apple menu  > System Preferences, then clicked Printers & Scanners.
Pressed and held the Control key as I clicked in the list at the left, then chose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appeared.
After I reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences was empty. So, I Re-added the printer by pressed the "+" button on the bottom left panel and clicked the printer name. Then, I re-installed the printer driver by pressed the "add" button on the bottom. Make sure your see USE: "Secure AirPrint" rather than "Canon image Class 720".

I tried to reset my printer due to same issue (Print Goes Blank) but I do not find "Secure AirPrint" as an option in my setup (rather than "Canon image Class 4700"). It doesn't appear that the 4700 Series is supported by Airprint. Not sure what to do. Anyone got any ideas?
I have the same problem with a Canon ImageRunner Advanced printer ... when I send the file to print only the images are printed without any text or paragraph.
I believe it is a PostScript problem.

I'm sure it doesn't depend on the printer because if I send the file from a Mac with Catalina or from the iPhone SE everything works fine.

I conclude by saying that on November 20 Canon released the new drivers for the Big Sur printer but nothing has changed.

I hope that Apple will solve the problem very soon.
Same here.. I just update over the weekend, now when I print from any program or document the text is not being printed at all.
Confirmed issue. Failure to print consistently to Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE C5550i from clean install Mac OS Big Sur November 2020 release.

ERROR: invalidfont
OFFENDING COMAND: xshow

Queue: Direct IP Printing

Driver:Canon Ir-ADV C5550/5560 III PS 4.17.5

PSv4.17.5Mac.zip 11/20/20 38.7 MB

Applications: MacOS Previews, Safari, Google Chrome

Source: PDF of any type, Google Docs
I'm having the same problem printing to a Canon image runner Advance 3525i. I can print to an HP LaserJet 254 no problem. On my Mac Pro 2019 the text is blank. I managed to get PDF's to print by changing the checking the box under Advanced Printer settings to "Print as Image." But Pages still prints blank sheets.
Same lack of text printing using Big Sur on my 2015 12" MacBook (Retina). I've attempted to print text files from FileMaker Pro 18 Advanced, as well as from LibreOffice 6.4.6.2. to my Canon Imagewriter MF4350d. This was not a problem with the prior Catalina OS, although Catalina disabled my ability to send email via the Apple Mail application. Replacing Catalina with Big Sur fixed the email problem, but unfortunately also introduced the printing problem. I've tried the fixes listed here and elsewhere (i.e. deleting and re-loading up-to-date Canon print and FAX drivers) with no discernible results; a print job is sent to the printer over WiFi, but only blank pages are produced. I also replaced my toner cartridge, and of course that did not alter the outcome. The problem clearly is a Big Sur OS bug that Apple should have identified and corrected by now. This is not an obscure or relatively minor problem; we still live in a world that at times requires paper documents. In my case, I have to produce a report for a court case that occurs two days from now; my low-tech fix for the moment is to send the document to my office email address, ride my bike to my office (a mere 12 miles) Come on Apple, you can do better than this!
Printing from Preview from Big Sur to several printers is not working. I can print from Pages, but not Preview.
I'm able to print some PDFs from Preview via AirPrint to an HP Color Laser, but others never do. The ones that fail seem to run through the Print Queue, show they were transferred to the printer, the printer blinks, but then nothing happens.

The only workaround has been to screenshot the PDF, and print from the screenshot image.
Just installed Big Sur on my Mac mini 2018.

Tried to print to a Canon Image Class MF 4150 and then to a Brother HL-L2360D printers to no avail.

Had to RESET the Mac printing system to solve a problem.  

As directed in Apple Support: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mh14001/mac 

If you can’t print to your printer and you’ve tried all other solutions, reset the printing system. This process deletes all printers from your list of printers, deletes information about all completed print jobs, and deletes all printer presets.
Important: First, try other troubleshooting techniques in Solve printing problems on Mac.
On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
Press and hold the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.
Re-add any printers.
OR GOOGLE

"iMore re how to reset printing system Mac" which includes screen shots
  • Naaah, nope. It won't help at all.

Add a Comment
I reset printing system, but issue is still there.

Printer is Cannon MF4700, macOS is 11.1.
  • (2021-10-11) go to Canon page, look up your printer, download newest driver (suitable for your version of OS) to your Mac. :) I just finally solved this problem on my Mac (bigSur). It prints text again.

Add a Comment