Big Sur Print Goes Blank (Bug Detected)

Hello, i just updated my macbook pro retina late 2013 to from macOS Catalina to Big Sur Beta 11.0, and i found out a bug. When i printed files from microsoft excel, word or maybe another pdf files the result went blank, no letters or ink are showing up except for borders

Is there any way how to fix this?

Thank you!

Replies

Resolved this problem.

My printer is Canon MF4720w.

0. Delete Canon MF4700 printer from macOS. (System Preference / Printers)
  1. Delete folder /Library/Printers/Canon/

2. Reboot computer

3. Download latest driver from Canon support website.

4. Install latest driver (10.11.06)

5. Add printer back.

It works now.
  • had the exact same problem, this fixed it

Add a Comment
Same issue here. Since having my wife working from home during the pandemic, I've networked our printer so she can print/scan to and from her PC Lenovo laptop. I'm on an Early 2013 MacBook Pro 13" Retina. I've constantly discovered pages from my Canon MF4700 with some text, if any, and large empty swathes of paper where text should be. I'm very frequently needing to export PDFs into JPEGs to "flatten" the PDF, of what seems to be layered or added text to PDFs that were generated in document processing software.

I tried the steps that someone else has posted more than once here about "resetting...," and that didn't fix it.

The Canon MF4700 is not an AirPrint compatible printer, but it does have networking capabilities. I have it attached to a network extender on our network. I am able to scan from the printer to each of our computers, and print from our phones and computers - but, only on Apple products am I having this issue.

This is very frustrating. Maybe it's the Preview app, not flattening the document image when sending it to the printer?

My wife, on her PC, is not having this issue at all.
  • Quick Workaround*

Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (free, Pro is the upgrade).

In the print dialog, select "Advanced" at the top next to your selected printer. 2/3 of the way down the pop-up dialog window, find "Print as Image."

This will "flatten" the PDF and print it as seen. It seems either the driver or the way Preview processes PDFs when sending to the printer doesn't do a good job of "flattening" the content on a PDF page into a printable image and it omits anything generated from a document processor or that was annotated or added after.
I use a Canon iR-ADV C5235/5240 and MacBook pro (Big Sur 11.1) and deleting printer AND printer files from library and then reinstalling driver worked for me.
I've had the same problem printing from Pages, Preview or anything else after updating to Big Sur. Resetting the printers did not work for me. I had to download a new driver from the Canon website compatible with Big Sur. Problem solved!
I had the same problem when upgrading to Big Sur with my Canon Imageclass MF632Cdw. I followed the instruction on reseting and re-adding the printer. I ended up getting the latest version of the print driver at the Canon website (made for Big Sur) and installed it. That seems to have fixed the issue.
Download the latest version of the printer driver on your respective printer's website.
Hello-
Just updated my Mac to Big Sur last week, and having the same problem. When I go to printer settings, the reset printing system button is greyed out. Is this because the lock at the bottom is on ? (It is a work computer, I need admin user/password for that)

Wish I would have known about these issues before I updated :(
New MacBook Air with OS Big Sur is printing blank pages on Canon G4210. It has also disabled Pages on an older MacBook Air with OS 10.9.5. Canon has no answers. Is this an Apple problem, and if so what do I do to fix it? I have already reinstalled driver, reset printer several times, etc. Printer will print from Web pages so I know it is something from Pages, not from the printer.
Having this same blank printed page issue with a brand new Xerox B215. Latest driver from the website dates back to April 2020 (for Big Sur) and it does not solve the issue. Someone please help!!
Solved: I have a Canon ImageClass MF632CDW and just downloaded new drivers from Canon. This fixed the blank pages printing from my Mac after upgrading to Big Sur 11.3. Happy to have found this solution, I was ready to purchase a new printer!
[sorry, answered in the wrong thread after being harrassed by Apple when logging in]

Not an answer, just a confirmation that we have Kyocera and Dell color laser printers that bark our PostScript errors on the page of completely different PDF documents (generated in completely different ways), printed from Preview ONLY WHEN printing from Big Sur. The same documents give no errors when printing from Catalina. I'd say, likely some low-level PostScript-problems introduced in Big Sur. This goes beyond the drivers (Kyocera and Dell, both having the same bugs?). The most readable of the errors that get barfed onto the page is "OFFENDING COMMAND: xshow". This can hardly be a coincidence.
I have the same issue and it is driving me crazy.
My fix: Print the PDF from my iPhone using AirPrint!

Sound like a crazy workflow but it works in a pinch.