[Apple Watch] Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error

Hi. I am pairing my Apple Watch Series 5 to my iPhone running ios 14. The pairing is successful but unable to proceed with the set up because an update is needed to be downloaded first. I updated the os for watch but I keep on getting “Unable to Check for Update - Checking for a software update failed because you are not connected to the internet”. I am definitely connected to the internet.

Watch was reset to factory defaults and I am now pairing it as a new device but it fails due to the issue mentioned above.
  • I solved this issue by uninstalling the Watch app from my iphone and reloading it. After reloading the app I paired the watch to the phone and the update started loading.

• I will say one thing today was a frustrating day trying to get the watch to pair for a few hours. Finally I have success. My fix is the same as many but it took only one try when I changed the Country and Language. I decided to use language Portuguese, and country Afghanistan. It worked. so mad I could not see straight. But success, hope it works for you. It will.

• Apple Watch 3, iPhone 11Pro w/ iOS 14.6 - nothing works to update the watch and make it a usable device, it's basically a dud now. I've tried resetting the iPhone and trying to update the watch in different language. No dice!

Accepted Reply

Hard resetting iPhone fixed this issue.

Steps are:
  1. Press Volume Up and let go.

2. Press Volume Down and let go.

3. Press and hold the side button.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone
  • This didn't work for me.

• Same issue here. Reset series 3 Apple Watch to factory settings and tried to pair with iPhone X on iOS 14.6 and no matter what I do, I get the not connected to internet error when I am most definitely online.

restart, reset, reinstalling watch, changing languages, changing region- none of that worked. Very frustrating!

• @Patcwin thanks, that worked for me

Replies

Beem335i, thanks a lot! Solved out problem!

Quick fix:

• Settings > General > Software Update
  • Disable “Automatic Updates”
  • Attempt to pair watch again

Here's what I did that worked:

1. In Bluetooth settings select any Apple Watch that is paired and select forget device
  2. Turn on then off airplane mode for good measure
  3. Retry pairing and update

Hopefully this works for you guys too

if You are connected to WIFI 5GHZ on Iphone, change it to WiFi 2.4 GHZ and setup Apple Watch

This MUST work :)

Hey guys so I was having the same issue as everyone else but on an apple watch series 4. I went ahead and attempted EVERYTHING! Hard reset watch,Hard reset Iphone, reset network settings on iphone. I even signed out of icloud at one point. So the one that finally did it I think I reset watch then iphone and attempted to pair. It gave me the same message as always "Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error" but this time I just hit the try again like 15 times back toi back to back! no lie it seemed like everytime it looked longer for the update until it freaking worked! updated to watchOS8.0.1

I hope this was not a fluke and helps some ppl.

REMEMBER hit the "Try again" button back to back to back mine worked like on the 15th time.

Hey guys so I was having the same issue as everyone else but on an apple watch series 4. I went ahead and attempted EVERYTHING! Hard reset watch,Hard reset Iphone, reset network settings on iphone. I even signed out of icloud at one point. So the one that finally did it I think I reset watch then iphone and attempted to pair. It gave me the same message as always "Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error" but this time I just hit the try again like 15 times back toi back to back! no lie it seemed like everytime it looked longer for the update until it freaking worked! updated to watchOS8.0.1

I hope this was not a fluke and helps some ppl.

REMEMBER hit the "Try again" button back to back to back mine worked like on the 15th time.

• I gave up on 50th try. Not work for me: iPhone 6 + iwatch 6. Shame on Apple

Add a Comment

I had my Apple Watch connected to my old phone. When I got my new phone and tried to connect it and I got the "Unable to check for update error. I contacted support and they weren't able to solve the issue.

The ONLY thing that worked for me was updating my Apple Watch using my old iPhone (phone that the watch was perviously connected to) and then resetting and pairing it to my new phone. Annoying but it worked.

Whilst not directly related to an Apple watch 5, my Apple watch series 3 had this same issue of the not connected to internet error. I tried all the things mentioned in this thread and others.

Here is what worked for me:

1. On your iPhone go to settings>wifi and tap the "i" next to the wifi network you are connected to.
  2. Scroll down to DNS and change it to manual.
  3. Delete every server entry on the list.
  4. Add the servers "1.1.1.1", 1.0.0.1" "8.8.8.8" and "8.8.4.4". Then hit save.

Now try and pair your apple watch - it should work, mine went ahead and downloaded the 8.0.1 update for my Watch series 3.

• Not work for me: iPhone 6 + iwatch 6. Shame on Apple

• this worked for me i usd watch4 and iphone6s

ps. my os is lastest version , change region to Canada both on iphone and watch , using 5G wifi in my home as usual

Add a Comment

Tried pretty much all suggestions on this thread. Nothing worked until I turned off cellular data on iphone. Just had wifi on. It worked!

Apple watch4 iPhone 8 iOS 15

• Not work for me: iPhone 6 + iwatch 6. Shame on Apple.

Add a Comment

I solved this issue by turning on automatic update on the watch settings/general/software update/ turn on automatic update ( on the watch not the phone) apple watch 3

Forget all the answers, all of them are wrong. The real solution is that your watch need 50% battery charge to continue. A real Apple failure to show this error instead of telling you that.

I tried everything with my series 4, ended up connection to my samsung hotspot wifi and download started perfect, i think my modem is only swt to 5gz and for some reason update only works with 2.4gh

There are a whole lot of things tried in this forum - I think this really has to do with a 2.4 GHz wifi signal. This appears to be the ONLY connection to the internet that "counts."

To resolve - I went into my router settings and switched OFF my 5 GHz signal (only leaving my 2.4 GHz signal active) - as soon as I did it started working (To force the connection to wifi I did disable my Cellular data.).

I think most other cases suggested were when people got lucky and happened to have been connected over 2.4 GHz (like leaving things connected overnight, etc.) There are certain cases where a dual band router will switch the signal you're on and sometimes you can just get lucky. I do have to admit when I was at work I did multiple hard resets, etc. but nothing worked until I purposefully connected over 2.4 GHz.

iPhone 11 - iOS 15.1 Apple watch series 3

I found an answer!!! On your watch watch go to settings, software update. Then open on your iPhone and it will find the download. Resetting phone and watch did nothing. Opening software update in watch first fixed the problem immediately…idk why. lol

I solved this by choosing manual set up, after trying all other mentioned fixes. I would suggest restarting both devices first. When you see pairing animation on watch, click on the little i then choose to pair manually. Do same on iPhone. This worked for me.